BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Counting on you guys for advice...debating purchasing a 99LTC from across several states...I've only seen pictures of the bike, but they look good...Only 38K and lots of accessories. The seller will ship it to me (it's the wrong time of year to ride across US) and all transactions will be via phone/computer...My question is...should I purchase an LT without actually seeing it? Owner assures me all services are up to date and no known problems. The price is fine and I'm pretty sure it's a good deal..but, you never know....
Whadda' ya think? Thanks for your comments.... :confused:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Perhaps a member of this forum can go check the bike out for you, depending on its location.
I did buy my 2 LTs on faith, on eBay, and have not been disappointed, although my buddy Mike from Pittsburgh went to check the 03 for me and found out that I needed tires before I could ride the bike back to Los Angeles.
So... where is the bike???:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wow, that might be a little too much "on faith". I have bought some expensive vehicles off eBay or CraigsList, but I have always had the opportunity to check them out myself before leaving the check. I did just sell a bike to a guy a few states over in Texas. He contacted a local shop and asked me to take the bike there for a PPI (pre-purchase inspection). The shop was only a few miles from my house so I did it, and the buyer got an independent, professional, objective report about the bike before he parted with the big cash. Probably cost him less than $200 for this service (he had tried to arrange for a local to "check it out" for him, but this didn't work out, so the dealer PPI was his fallback.) Bike checked out clean, he bought it and he was happy with it when he eventually received it from the shipping company.

Then there is the option of using an escrow service. They get and keep your money until you receive the bike and have them release it to the seller (perhaps they also receive the title from the seller, and release it to you when you release the money?) I don't believe that those services cost a lot more than $100 or so a transaction.

That should give you a couple more options.

Good luck,
Tom

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
When west-coast forum member 'Raffy' wanted to buy a GS that was near Cape Fear, NC, he put out a post asking if anyone could go look at it for him. (Just to make sure that the bike was what he thought it was.) I happened to be in the area on vacation, and I agreed to look it over. It was big fun for me as I got to meet the seller at BMW of Cape Fear, and I was glad to 'give a little back' to a community that has done so much for me.

Attached is a pic of the vacationing messenger13 atop Raffy's GS.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zippy_gg said:
Perhaps a member of this forum can go check the bike out for you, depending on its location.
I did buy my 2 LTs on faith, on eBay, and have not been disappointed, although my buddy Mike from Pittsburgh went to check the 03 for me and found out that I needed tires before I could ride the bike back to Los Angeles.
So... where is the bike???:)
It's at a Honda dealership in Franklin, TN....

·
Registered
73 Posts
i did it and am glad i did.

Go ahead and do it if you are comfortable buyiing it.I purchased a 2002 lte from South Carolina and i am in Ct. The bike was on ebay. I askd a lot of questions with owner before I finally committed to buy it. I am so glad i did. the bike was everything i hoped for am more.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
lsdpoet said:
It's at a Honda dealership in Franklin, TN....
I am about 85 miles from there and there are several members as close or closer . If no one else chimes in and the weather is decent (I always look for an excuse to ride) I'll go up there and look it over for you.

I just checked and the weather is fine. Let me know if you want some help.

·
Registered
717 Posts
If the seller is the Honda dealer, you seem to be OK, do your talking through them. I bought my LT from a dealer 4 states away, but I checked them out first and spoke with the owner several times. But if it's someone just saying that its there, or they have it on consignment, I'd agree that its a good idea for someone to go over and check the bike. Just to make sure it actually exists, is in one piece, and the photos they sent you match what's for sale, as there's a lot of internet fraud out there. Have the person write down the VIN and have someone in law enforcement run it to make sure its not hot. (And that the number coincides with the actual year and model of the bike).

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I bought my LT with out seeing from a dealer 300 miles away. I knew that one and LT rider should not be to hard on the motor and two that I am buying used which anything can break. I took that chance and love the motor, great motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
messenger13 said:
When west-coast forum member 'Raffy' wanted to buy a GS that was near Cape Fear, NC, he put out a post asking if anyone could go look at it for him. (Just to make sure that the bike was what he thought it was.) I happened to be in the area on vacation, and I agreed to look it over. It was big fun for me as I got to meet the seller at BMW of Cape Fear, and I was glad to 'give a little back' to a community that has done so much for me.

Attached is a pic of the vacationing messenger13 atop Raffy's GS.
You look like trouble and or would give a cop a hard time on a stop. :) :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jzeiler said:
I am about 85 miles from there and there are several members as close or closer . If no one else chimes in and the weather is decent (I always look for an excuse to ride) I'll go up there and look it over for you.

Thanks very much...I just PM'd you....

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I bought my LT from a guy I met on a chat board - sight unseen (cept for picys).

But then I knew the crowd at that board, had met one or two - they vouched for guys that vouched for guys that vouched for him.

Flew out to his place, stayed the night (he put me up) and rode 'er home. Loved it!!

Great experience - not your typical 'stranger deal'! :thumb:

G'luck with your new ride - hope it all goes at least as well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Get the VIN# from the Honda dealer, contact a BMW dealer and get a service/maintenance record on the bike. One issue in particular is the rear drive; about 3-4% of LT's have experienced failure of the rear drive. The one you are considering has sufficient mileage to have possibly suffered a failure (or could have a failure at any time). A rear drive repair is a $600-$1000 bill unless you can do it yourself. Also, try to get the previous owner's name and phone#; he (or she) probably will be honest and forthright with you. LOL on your "adventure". The LT's are great bikes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I live in Ohio and bought mine in St. Louis, MO. I saw the pics, spoke with the guy selling it and then flew there with the idea that if there was something I didn't like about it I would just hop on a flight back and not buy it. Luckily it was in great shape and instead I drove it back. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I too bought my bike without seeing her. Just pics. It was everything the seller told me and am very happy with it. I rode her all summer and my other bike was a little neglected.

I also think people taking time to check bikes out for other folks is AWESOME.
hat's off to the folks on this site..!!

Don

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Handlebar said:
I too bought my bike without seeing her. Just pics. It was everything the seller told me and am very happy with it. I rode her all summer and my other bike was a little neglected.

I also think people taking time to check bikes out for other folks is AWESOME.
hat's off to the folks on this site..!!

Don
DON.....THIS BOARD IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS I'M GETTING AN LT...YOU'RE CORRECT..THESE PEOPLE ARE AWESOME..... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
lsdpoet said:
DON.....THIS BOARD IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS I'M GETTING AN LT...YOU'RE CORRECT..THESE PEOPLE ARE AWESOME..... :thumb:
I'm confused - did you sell your '03 LT?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Yes, there is a 3-4% chance of a rear end failure. There are guys on the list that have 2 failures. Big deal, it is only a machine. Things are going to break. There are many LTs that haven't had a rear end failure. Mine is currently 99,776 miles and I bought it with almost 38K on it in April of 2004 and I have yet to have a rear end failure or to worry about it failiing. If it does, it will get fixed, just like the two clutch jobs last year. Like I said earlier "It is only a machine."

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
jzeiler said:

See Larry? That's what I was talking about.
The comradery on this site goes way beyond posting or meeting for breakfast.
Way to go John!:thumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts