BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some guidance, I currently have a 2005 Honda VTX and want a bike with more touring capabiltiy. I drive 100 miles a day to work and back and want to be able to ride in colder weather and take the wife out for longer rides.

I found a 2005 LT at the local dealer with 26,000 miles on it. It is in great shape cosmetically and I am planning a trip this weekend to take it for a test ride. Is that too many miles to buy a used bike? Should I keep looking for one with lower miles?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Warriorwagner

·
Registered
276 Posts
26K? She's just getting broken in. Make your best deal and don't look back - you'll be happy you did.

There are people all over this forum with 200K+ miles. 26K would be a year's worth.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,186 Posts
That one is just broken in good now. You should be able to get at least another 100 to 200,000 miles out of her.

Any thing lower mileage at that age would be suspect. I have 55K on my 05.

Oh and I just got back from a 2,466 mile trip over four days to Vermont from North Alabama, very comfortable ride.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Go for it and enjoy the up-grade..........Been on my '03 for three years and still can't get the grin off my face whenever I throw a leg over the saddle...............Full face helmets are a must so folks don't think I'm 'touched'..........if you catch my drift..........enjoy.............

·
Registered
89 Posts
My '05 is a great bike, for me it's the best touring bike I have owned.
BUT......it's very different from your Honda.
The only way you will know if it's a 'fit' for you and your riding style is by, well........riding it.
I wouldn't be all that concerned about the miles, mine is currently sitting at around 30K, and it still feels tight and new. Everything still works as it should and I have 100% confidence in it.
So take it for a ride......be patient with yourself and take the time to get a feel for it....and try to negotiate a good deal on it.
If you DO buy it.....you will find this forum to be one of the best benefits of the ownership experience. No matter what happens, from racking up tons of miles without a single problem to any catastrophic failure you can think of....someone here has been through it and will be here to lend you a hand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you plan to keep the bike for long time then the 26K miles is not a problem. But if you think you may be reselling it in a couple a years ( like I usually do with my bikes ) than a lower miles bike will sell quicker later on. No many bikers will buy a bike with 40-50K miles.

I don't know how much the dealer is asking but you could find a '05 with similar miles for around 10K.

I have a 2005 LT with 6K miles. There is nothing to be suspicious for bike with low miles. You can tell from their tear and wear whether they have been used or not.
I have three bikes and don't ride much of each to start with, but I like to keep them all for different reasons.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Should you buy an LT? NO! NO! NO!
Let me make myself clear: NO!

If you buy an LT you'll forever lose the thrill and excitement of trying new bikes in search of THE ONE. How sad would that be? Just think of all the thrills of buying and selling bikes, learning them, then finding them to be lacking. Frustrating? yes, but it really is all about the thrill of the hunt, right?

If you buy the LT now, you lose every future oppurtunity of searching for that perfect touring bike, and how boring would that be?

Buy at your own risk, if you must. Just don't say that you weren't warned.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, you'll love that 100 mile round trip each day to work and back. I have a 2003 with 84,xxx miles and will clock it over the 100k mark this year, hope to make it over the 200k mark in three more years. I ride all winter here in Mo when the roads aren't icy and have ridden down to 0 F. I bought a heated underjacket and wear my riding jacket and an insulated jacket on top of that. Hope to have a winter riding jacket by the time it turns cold this fall. It's also great in the rain as only my head and shoulders even get damp at highway speeds. I think you'll love the upgrade !

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my opinion you will love the LT. I also ride about 100 miles a day to work and back with no problems at all. Go for it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After wanting a K1200LT for 3 years, I finally bought one. It's an amazing bike, looking forward to lots of miles.

Bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went from a VTX 1800 to my LT that I have had for 6 years I believe you will really enjoy the LT once you get used to riding it it will be different than the VTX.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Yes.

At 25K it is still a baby. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I'm thinking along the same lines as the guy below. DO NOT PURCHASE AN LT. Not for his reasons, but my own. Seeing that the LT is obsolete, I'll need parts to keep Barbara on the road... Maybe if you don't buy, they will part her out?

And as for the guy that made the comment.
No many bikers will buy a bike with 40-50K miles.
I got barbara with over 100K, She is still stunning (after a set of implants! :p )

fpmlt said:
Should you buy an LT? NO! NO! NO!
Let me make myself clear: NO!

If you buy an LT you'll forever lose the thrill and excitement of trying new bikes in search of THE ONE. How sad would that be? Just think of all the thrills of buying and selling bikes, learning them, then finding them to be lacking. Frustrating? yes, but it really is all about the thrill of the hunt, right?

If you buy the LT now, you lose every future oppurtunity of searching for that perfect touring bike, and how boring would that be?

Buy at your own risk, if you must. Just don't say that you weren't warned.

·
Registered
353 Posts
warriorwagner said:
I need some guidance, I currently have a 2005 Honda VTX and want a bike with more touring capabiltiy. I drive 100 miles a day to work and back and want to be able to ride in colder weather and take the wife out for longer rides.

I found a 2005 LT at the local dealer with 26,000 miles on it. It is in great shape cosmetically and I am planning a trip this weekend to take it for a test ride. Is that too many miles to buy a used bike? Should I keep looking for one with lower miles?

Thanks in advance.

Warriorwagner

Buy It...............You will love it..............Like we all do....

·
Registered
110 Posts
warriorwagner said:

Thanks in advance.

Warriorwagner
I never owned a bike, never rode, absolutely no experience. So I took the MSF course, got my bike license and went out and bought, as my very first bike in my entire life, a K1200LT. 2003 model with 13K miles. For my 73rd birthday. Two weeks later I rode it, solo, from Los Angeles to Spokane, Washington. Took 10 days, 3000 plus miles. Loved every minute of it. This summer planning a ride to Canada from Los Angeles. No regrets. Love the bike, ride it all over town (not any fun in heavy, stop-and-go traffic but great on the freeways) and every chance I get. Great for carrying passengers. So I would tell you to go for it. :wave :wave :wave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really appreciate all the great feedback you all have provided. This forum is great, just like the VTX forum I have been a member of for years. I am taking the wife to look at it on Saturday and will keep everybody informed if I can make the deal.

A couple more questions, what should I ask the dealer when talking to him about the bike? Are there any 2005 specific things I should inquire about, i.e. recalls, known issues for that year? Is there any particular high failure items that I should be looking for when taking the test ride?

Thanks again for all your help, I want this to be the last bike I buy for a long time.

WarriorWagner

·
Registered
89 Posts
It would probably be a good idea to have the dealership take the VIN number and pull up the service records if possible. If you DO buy the bike maybe you could negotiate a full service (I.E. valve check / adjustment, fluid change, ABS brake service) as part of the purchase price. While I wouldn't stand up for most of them, there ARE some good dealers out there who will treat you right.
Check the tires out too as they can affect your initial impression of the bike, worn tires make for a crappy ride. Lift the seat and check the adjustment on the rear shock too, as that can also affect your first impression. Ignore the odd sound of the engine, while it sounds weird and noisy at first, it definitely grows on you. And make sure not to grab a whole handful of front brake when you ease across the lot for the first time.
Good luck!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Check if they've replaced the original rear 10-point rotor with the updated 5-point one, much quieter braking.
Check if the mirrors have been tethered to the bike, not nice if they get "bumped" off and aren't.
what else.. there's been a few threads in the past asking these questions...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Well, I tried to warn you, but you wouldn't listen, FINE! I'd ask about a full fluid change: including brake and radiator, and see if they'll go in and clean/lube the shift linkage. If they do, maybe they'll let you watch so that you can put that on your list of regular maint.
Good luck!! And just enjoy it.

Frank

1 - 20 of 28 Posts