BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this bike is local, a 2005 with just over 30,000 miles, light yellow metallic (not my fave color, but liveable), and looks to be in good shape. It's at a local HD dealer, and its apparent they want to get rid of it, as it's $9995 plus fees.

At just about $11,800 out the door, this looks like a heck of a deal. The service records are there, complete with stamps from the local dealer, as well as manuals, extra keys, etc. Few small scratches here and there, but no major signs of trauma. Dealer says 30K service was just completed at local BMW dealer prior to trade-in. Skins are mid-life ME880's in good looking shape.

For reference, I'm an RT-P guy right now, as my commuter, but am looking at the luxo-barge as a 2-up toy for the weekends with the wifey. I'm a pretty proficient wrench with the RT, but it doesn't look like the LT is quite as accessible, although still self-wrenchable for the really determined.

The options are anti-theft system with central locking, 6 disc changer, and heated seats, as far as I can see.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Price looks good. Why don't you ask the dealer if you can take it for a test ride and a diagnostic by the lcoal BMW dealer? That way you can also check out the service record and see what work was really done on it and get an expert opinion on the current status of the motorcycle.

I'd also suggest looking at an extended warrenty if one is available. I turned down an '05 model in favor of an '06 model for just that reason. The 'o6 had a factory warrenty still on the clock and getting an extended warrenty was no problem. I've already used my factory warrenty to cover about 3 ~ 4K in repairs (radio repalced, rear brake rotor replaced, reverse gear switch reconnected when it wouldn't reverse properly).

·
Registered
495 Posts
I bought mt '06 from my local Hardley stealer & got, what I thought was a great deal (an '06 in '06 at $5K off MSRP + farkles), and less than 3K on the clock. Nobody knew the bike or wanted it around to allow "customers" to compare it to the Ultras - only the die hards would shell out for an Ultra with the LT there.

You'll probably find your LT was owned by a die hard who coudn't take the pressure from the local HOG.... enjoy your new ride... :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
RPMone offers a warranty on out of warranty bikes for a higher cost. Not sure how much higher. My warranty purchased through BMW of Eugene,OR has already paid for itself.
No co-pay
No exclusions
unlimited milage
for five years till 08/2013
No deductions

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I bought my '03 with one week left on the warranty. I didn't purchase the aftermarket warranty and now I wish I had..........I wouldn't buy another LT without a warranty.......... :mad:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well... I found my 05 LT from a fellow who put an ad on the BMW MOA site. It was out of factory warranty and out of my home state but it looked like new - it only had 5200 miles on it.

In 3 months I've put over 3K miles on it. Changed the "oil's" myself (not hard). I am very happy with it.

Jon

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have an 05 with 50,000 kms (30,000 miles) and love it. Sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I bought my 2005 LT private party. It had 7K on it, he just had it serviced and new tires but was out of warranty by time. The guy put on every imaginable option (see list below)on it. I paid $15,000.00 & tax. I think if you can get it checked out a a BMR store it sounds like a great price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts