BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering purchasing a used RT and have started looking around for a 2010 onwards model. I have found one at a local dealer that is SE spec and has a full BMW service history. The only thing holding me back is that it's done 34000 miles in less than two years. Should I be concerned about that, and are there any particular things I should look out for? The mileage is high when compared to others that are available locally but the price being asked for this one is very attractive.

Any advice/comments gratefully received!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Given that it is a BMW and you said that all service records are there, I wouldn't worry about the miles. To me it says that bike saw a lot of highway and distance miles, instead of stop and go city travel most likely. If it checks out fine then go for it. You won't be disappointed.

John

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Dear CONCERNED,

Should you be concerned... YES! You should worry that some other person gets it before you do- while you are dithering...

Age of bike = No
Mileage = No
Service Records = Yes
SE = Yes
Price = Yes

Get on with it man and post the pictures.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I agree with Hopz. I put ~15K mostly freeway miles/year on my 2009 and it's running just fine. This is an engine and drivetrain that should go 100K+ without any worries whatsoever with proper maintenance.

Go for it and post the pics!

JayJay

·
Registered
76 Posts
34,000? It is still a baby! I agree with the other posters and be concerned that it is still available. I can not speak for the UK, but in the states a good condition late model RT with a full service history and attractive price will not sit around for long.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Monty2007 said:
I can not speak for the UK, but in the states a good condition late model RT with a full service history and attractive price will not sit around for long.
It won't hang around long in the UK either - as I will be heading down to that dealer chopping in my '05

·
Registered
127 Posts
No need for concern. If you want it, buy it.

I sold my 2005 R1200RT with 107k miles on it for no other reason than I wanted a newer one, with the new motor. The bike was in good shape, nothing was wrong with it, and I have no reason to believe that it won't go another 100k+ miles with the new owner.

My 2011 RT that I bought 10 weeks ago already has 8,000 miles on it. I'll probably keep it until at least 150k miles.

As long as you maintain these motorcycles, they'll run for a long, long time. In this case of the one that you're looking at, I'd accomplish any services coming due, do a fluid change of the brakes, FD, transmission, oil, etc. (unless you know for sure when it was last done) and ride on.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If you don't hurry and by the thing you will be miserable for losing out on the deal. It took me a long time to convince my wife that when she sees something "one of a kind" that she likes, she better grab it, cause I don't want to listen to all the whining when it is gone.. :D

How I finally convinced her of this fact:

Several years ago she saw a nice oil painting at a decorator shop she loved, and was procrastinating about the purchase as usual. Since her birthday was coming up three months later, I went in, bought it for her, and engaged all the sales staff in a conspiracy to tell her that her picture was sold to someone by another salesman. The picture hung on the wall up until the day of her birthday when it was brought home and hung.

Every time she went into the decorator's shop, she gave everybody grief for selling "her" picture that was hanging up taunting her. Everybody still laughs at that setup, and the look on her face when she came home that evening and saw the picture up in her living room was priceless. Got a great photo of that :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
All that tells me is that the bike was probably a touring bike. Much better having 34,000 highway miles than 5,000 (or less!) city miles. Only when I purchased a new BMW bike did I believe that it takes over 20K miles to break it in. It just keeps getting better.

tsp
My motorcycle blog

·
Registered
415 Posts
I bought my 2008 Rt with 34,000 miles on it and never flinched at the mileage, I knew these machines easily go 100,000+ miles and I was happy to get a good price on a lightly used bike. Maintenance records came with the bike and showed it had been maintained on both east and wesy coasts of the U.S., this meant hwy miles which made me even more confident that it was a good deal.

r

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Mine will be at 26k by the end of the first year. Obviously I take care to make sure all maintenance is done as did the owner of the bike you are looking at, so I wouldn't be concerned at all. My Victory Vision saw 42k in 2 years and was in perfect condition when I sold it. Grab the RT if the price is right before someone else does.

·
Registered
189 Posts
34000miles in less than 2 years gives a daily trip of 50 to 60 miles. I would presume this is not done in stop 'n go traffic in the city.
The price tag is interesting because the mileage is a factor in calculating the 2nd hand price, not because the bike is in bad shape.

The only concern is that someone could buy it before you do... :cool:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Miggs said:
Sorry to play devil's advocate, but given so many other machines on the market with much lower mileage, it would need to be a storming deal before it tempted me.
True, it's a buyer's market for used bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your comments - between you all you have removed any concerns I had about the mileage and also gave me the kick i needed to do something!

Went back to the dealer this morning, had a good look at the bike and put my deposit down! They have changed the forks as there was some pitting and are going to replace the engine cover and give the exhaust some ceramic treatment - work they were going to do anyway so no additional cost.

So - i'm soon to be the proud owner of a 2010 SE in Ostra Grey Metallic Matt with dynamic pack, audio system, top box, alarm and sat nav mount. Can't wait to pick it up!

Thanks again for all your comments. Pictures to follow ...

·
Registered
76 Posts
HampshireGibbo said:
Thank you all for your comments - between you all you have removed any concerns I had about the mileage and also gave me the kick i needed to do something!

Went back to the dealer this morning, had a good look at the bike and put my deposit down! They have changed the forks as there was some pitting and are going to replace the engine cover and give the exhaust some ceramic treatment - work they were going to do anyway so no additional cost.

So - i'm soon to be the proud owner of a 2010 SE in Ostra Grey Metallic Matt with dynamic pack, audio system, top box, alarm and sat nav mount. Can't wait to pick it up!

Thanks again for all your comments. Pictures to follow ...

Congratulations on the new RT! :bmw:

·
Registered
726 Posts
HampshireGibbo said:
I'm seriously considering purchasing a used RT and have started looking around for a 2010 onwards model. I have found one at a local dealer that is SE spec and has a full BMW service history. The only thing holding me back is that it's done 34000 miles in less than two years. Should I be concerned about that, and are there any particular things I should look out for? The mileage is high when compared to others that are available locally but the price being asked for this one is very attractive.

Any advice/comments gratefully received!
No! don"t worry.... I am a full time long distance tanker truck driver and have 21700/ml on my 09 now. If it"s sold from a dealer, than they have checked it out and YOU need to grab it! enjoy... :wave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts