BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The antenna on my LT gets caught up in my garage door all the time, because of the space I'm limited to in the garage. It's bent all to hell. It's also annoying when I'm trying to get stuff in and out of the bags. Any ideas for a shorter antenna that still works for radio reception in a well-covered area, in the city? I only use the radio when I feel like a short ride without any gear, so it's never very far.

I haven't taken it apart yet, does the LT use a normal automotive antenna?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
calvarez said:
The antenna on my LT gets caught up in my garage door all the time, because of the space I'm limited to in the garage. It's bent all to hell. It's also annoying when I'm trying to get stuff in and out of the bags. Any ideas for a shorter antenna that still works for radio reception in a well-covered area, in the city? I only use the radio when I feel like a short ride without any gear, so it's never very far.

Just shorten it a little, it will still work fine.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just shorten it a little, it will still work fine.
Yeah, except that after getting caught in the garage door a few times, it has quite a few bends and scratches in it. Just looks, I know, but if it's a cheap fix...

Hahahahahaha, wait, I just used "cheap fix" in an LT thread...ROFL. Nevermind.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
calvarez said:

Here is a pic of a short antenna from Radio Shack. I know the rider, and he said it worked a treat. Not sure if the link will take you to the method of install, and if not, you can search the HoW for 'Customization'/Radio... etc."

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Dick said:
Here is a pic of a short antenna from Radio Shack. I know the rider, and he said it worked a treat. Not sure if the link will take you to the method of install, and if not, you can search the HoW for 'Customization'/Radio... etc."
Sniff.... Sniff... I think I'm going to cry..... :(

p.s- I had to take that Ugly thing off when I got her.... The antenna... Not the pussy! :histerica

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't use the radio much and took the antenna off for the garage door clearance. Radio didn't seem any worse than usual, but really haven't tried it that much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went to an audio store where I live and got a powered antenna for my LT. It is the one the hot roders use when they don't want the antenna to show on their custom rod. It is about 4 inches long and 1 1/2 inch wide. I used doubled back tape and stucked this to the back of my topcase behind the back seat. I can honestly say now I can get reception 65-70 miles away listening to my hometown radio station. I could only get maybe 20-25 miles before with the standard LT antenna.

FYI: Before I switched out my standard LT antenna and couldn't put the cover over it, I happen to find a rubber gasket that is used on the dimmer switch from a 52 chevy truck
and I fabricated into the cover for the antenna to go through plus it acts like seal fits perfectly and looks factory made. Just have to be sure you put it in the right place.

beemerdude49 :)

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
there was somebody here in the last couple of weeks who mentioned one of his Farkles was a hidden antenna that he got from the auto parts store that he mounted in his topcase.

·
Registered
241 Posts
beemerdude49 said:
Yip it is I, beemerdude49 and it still works great to this day after 4 years.
Can you get us a pic of your install, please.

·
Registered
8 Posts
L_Rudy said:

Yes I will but it will be monday the 4th before I can and I will also try to get the info on the antenna for you I would think the radio shop here should still have them.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
calvarez said:

I installed a hide away antennae under the seat of my 1999 LT. It worked great. Cannot remember where I got it. Found out about it here on this site so a search should bring it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
L_Rudy said:
This is a METRA 44-UA20 HIDDEN ELECTRONISC AMPLIED CAR ANTENNA for about $23 bucks on ebay. it is a simple install, stick the antenna wherever you wish with double back tape, I put mine right behind the rear passenger back rest onto the topcase out of the weather.
There are 2 wires, the larger black wire will go to the antenna lead to the radio (you will have to take off the left side plastic to get to this) and the small black wire I routed to the
#1 fuse box at the #2 fuse (see pic) this is the fuse for the tail light and will power up when the key is on. I took a hot match and melted a very slight cutout on the fuse cover lip so the wire could come out and it still seal well. Your manual will show you the correct fuse box location. I zip tied the wires onto the frame to keep them from getting pinched from the seat. Put the fuse box cover back on and the seat, and you are done. Enjoy music to your ears!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
tsBMWminer said:
Beemerdude
How is thw AM reception?
AM radio is also good because all the farm towns here is Kansas use AM as well as other states, so out in the country or in my city there is never a loss for an AM station. If I get tired of radio I just plug in the Ipod. I also took out my 6cd changer for more room, seems like the technology is getting so high tech with smaller units these days this is a plus to pack more goodies.. Have a great ride!

·
Registered
13 Posts
beemerdude49 said:
Yip it is I, beemerdude49 and it still works great to this day after 4 years.
I have the hidden antenna in my top case also (the amplified model, dunno what they have). I find that it works great and IMHO gives the bike a cleaner look. You can get them from $15-50 depending on what you want to spend. I did drill through the topcase and sealed it with sealant (so it didn't leak) and it tucked right behind my pass backrest. Clean install and has good reception.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
beemerdude49 said:
This is a METRA 44-UA20 HIDDEN ELECTRONISC AMPLIED CAR ANTENNA for about $23 bucks on ebay. it is a simple install, stick the antenna wherever you wish with double back tape, I put mine right behind the rear passenger back rest onto the topcase out of the weather.
There are 2 wires, the larger black wire will go to the antenna lead to the radio (you will have to take off the left side plastic to get to this) and the small black wire I routed to the
#1 fuse box at the #2 fuse (see pic) this is the fuse for the tail light and will power up when the key is on. I took a hot match and melted a very slight cutout on the fuse cover lip so the wire could come out and it still seal well. Your manual will show you the correct fuse box location. I zip tied the wires onto the frame to keep them from getting pinched from the seat. Put the fuse box cover back on and the seat, and you are done. Enjoy music to your ears!
Thanks dude for the pics. When you first mentioned a "powered" antenna, I envisioned a motorized unit, w/ a telescoping mast and wondered how you managed to install w/ just double sided tape. Now, I see what you were referring to- an amplified antenna. Pretty slick. :cool:

I like it, but I have dual antennas, the other for the CB.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
shoswell said:
Sniff.... Sniff... I think I'm going to cry..... :(

p.s- I had to take that Ugly thing off when I got her.... The antenna... Not the pussy! :histerica
Too cute. :)
I guess cats like being on top of vehicles, regardless of how many wheels they have. :D
I had a cat like that. I named her Miss Piggy. Man, she had a personality that'd make any bitch proud. :lol8:

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
David_Nicholson said:
I have the hidden antenna in my top case also (the amplified model, dunno what they have). I find that it works great and IMHO gives the bike a cleaner look. You can get them from $15-50 depending on what you want to spend. I did drill through the topcase and sealed it with sealant (so it didn't leak) and it tucked right behind my pass backrest. Clean install and has good reception.
Could this antenna be installed in the space between the passenger seat and the top case, created when the top case is moved aft? Can you post some photos of your installation?

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the AM/FM antenna, although the CB antenna would still be there...

<edit>
Disregard the above question - beemerdude49 has the photo I was asking for. If I went this route I'd try mounting it beneath either seat, in case I wanted to take the top case off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts