BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 LT with 12,000 miles. Since I know the PO did not change the antifreeze on the bike, I think it is time to do it.

1. Does anyone have any insight or shortcuts to getting this done?
2. Is there a better "type" of antifreeze to us?

I looked at the hall of wisdom and could not not anything on this procedure.

All suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Easy to do:

Reach waaaaay up into the fairing and remove the radiator cap. It CAN be done without removing the side fairing.

Remove the center section of the lower fairing

Remove the radiator hose(s) from the water pump

Suck the fluid out of the overflow reservoir with a turkey baster or a siphon hose.

Just reverse the procedure and fill 'er back up.

Prestone Extended Life meets BMW specs and is readily available at your finer discount automotive and retail type stores.

It takes FAR longer to buy the antifreeze than it does to change it.

Loren

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks for that information...Tell me, when I reach way up there, do I have to tell the bike to turns its front wheel and cough? <JK> Anyway, great information.

Glenn

·
Registered
637 Posts
And put a little silicon spray on the rubber faces of the radiator cap to make it easier to reinstall - and for the next time to get it off.

I found mine was a super bitch to remove. :)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
C-A-D said:
What is wrong with the "official method" of dismantling/disconnecting temperature sensor?
Nothing. That said, if I have the choice of removing a hose and breaking/remaking a sealed-thread connection (otherwise known as a potential threaded weeping leak source), I'll slip the hose off every time.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,093 Posts
+1 What Mark said. It is also fragile and a few have damaged it on removal.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I've found that snaking an inexpensive piece of clear vinyl tubing (with small funnel attached) through the fairing is an easy way to top off the radiator. Make sure you "burp" the lower hose a few times as you are filling to expel any air, and wait about 30 minutes to top it off to let any bubbles percolate out after filling before replacing the cap.

FWIW, I always use a new Stant mini cap - available at your local auto parts store for $5.00, OR you could always buy the official BMW cap for 4X the dough. ;)

You're after the new rubber seal.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
RonKMiller said:
FWIW, I always use a new Stant mini cap - available at your local auto parts store for $5.00, OR you could always buy the official BMW cap for 4X the dough. ;)

Does anyone know the model # of the Stant mini cap? I'm changing coolant tomorrow.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yup. Pull the lower hose and use a piece of tubing and a funnel to fill her up. Be prepared to clean up a lot of spilled coolant. The cap is on there real tight so be careful.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I think the problem with the cap is that it isn´t removed very frecuently and therefore become stuck. I make a point of untightening and tightening mine every time I have to take some tupperware off.

Isn´t taking the sensor off easier that undoing hoses from the radiator ?. Also doesn´t it empty the engine better ?

Yes emptying the overflow with a large syringe and pipe is far easier than dismounting the rear plastic.

·
Registered
407 Posts
simoncharles said:
Isn´t taking the sensor off easier that undoing hoses from the radiator ?. Also doesn´t it empty the engine better ?

I couldn't find a socket to fit the sensor on my 2005. Plus it looks like it can be easily cracked, broken, cross threaded, cause a leak, etc. Why take that chance when a loosening simple hose clamp will do almost the same thing. Yes I agree there may be few ounces of coolant still in there, but not enough to make a difference IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts