BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charging was taking longer and longer, and as the battery was over 5 years old, I figured it was near its end. Got another Westco, and while putting it in I noticed a spark when connecting the ground. I had connected the positive first. There is a dead short in there somewhere, but I don't have a clue as to how to find it. I cranked the bike a couple of times to be sure the alt., starter, ect. were in a different place, but that didn't work. I would really appreciate any help. My nearest dealer is a long way from my home. Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
rcalli said:
Charging was taking longer and longer, and as the battery was over 5 years old, I figured it was near its end. Got another Westco, and while putting it in I noticed a spark when connecting the ground. I had connected the positive first. There is a dead short in there somewhere, but I don't have a clue as to how to find it. I cranked the bike a couple of times to be sure the alt., starter, ect. were in a different place, but that didn't work. I would really appreciate any help. My nearest dealer is a long way from my home. Thanks
I am not sure you have a short..there are a lot of items that run off the battery even with the key off. When I was having issues with the slave cylinder seal, each and everytime I pulled it apart, I had a pretty good spark. I'd bet a dollar to a donut, you're ok.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have explained further. The battery would not take a full charge installed in the bike. Take it out, on the bench, it would charge right up to around 12.8 volts. The charger would never reach the "maintain" level whit the battery in the bike. I even charged up the old battery and put it in the bike. Had the same hot spark when attaching the ground wire. I am pretty sure you are not supposed to have ANY spark at all. ??

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would consider having a spark normal, there are components (clock, Motronic, etc.) that draw power all the time and will present an immediate "closed" circuit to the battery.

If you suspect you have a real short try removing fuses until your problem goes away, that will help isolate the circuit. Make sure to try both the factory fuses and any auxiliary fuses that may have been added.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Like others have said it is normal to have a current draw when you first connect the battery. In order to really know you need to get a reading of the current draw not just the visual spark you are observing.
Put an amp meter in line with either post of the battery and measure the current draw, then do the fuse one at a time test to isolate the suspected fault.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,061 Posts
There is always a big spark when re-connecting the battery. If you suspect a current draw then place an ammeter on the negative terminal and on the wire from the negative terminal as you disconnect it. Stock current draw with key in the locked position should be no more than 5 ma steady state.

·
Registered
594 Posts
jzeiler said:
There is always a big spark when re-connecting the battery. If you suspect a current draw then place an ammeter on the negative terminal and on the wire from the negative terminal as you disconnect it. Stock current draw with key in the locked position should be no more than 5 ma steady state.
+1. Mine creates a good crack with spark every time i connect the battery. First time it gto me alerted. Guess it is created by radio, alarm system, motronic, clock and in my case GPS tracker - more or less the reason why i keep it connected to charger always in the garage. But the charger loads it fully (for a while). The older battery gets, the shorter the periods charger shows "Full". So more or less charging all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I always forget about that spark. When it happens, I always flinch; my mind immediatly has a vision of frying something. Then, I remember, that always happens!

Does your bike start?

When you turn the key to ON, do you hear the normal whuuring and clicking sounds?
Can you raise and lower the windshield?

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.