BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the Bike Show where I talked with a factory rep about the Shorai LFX lithium-based batteries. The literature claims they will hold a charge for one year without maintenance, have 2-4 times the service life of lead-acid batteries, and this I can vouch for because I picked one up, they are one-fifth the weight of a lead-acid battery. The model that fits my '99LT costs a cool $189 at their website, www.shoraipower.com. Anyone have any experience with these? It's time for me to swap out my Yuasa before the riding season starts.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This came up on another BMW forum a couple of weeks ago. At that point one person had ordered one but no updates at this time. If these things are what they say they are, they could change my battery buying habits even at the higher price point.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
So what is the big deal about holding a charge for only 1 year? The pc680 has been around for quite a while and has a 2 year storage life. :confused:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
For me the choice is obvious - and for one huge reason:

The PC680 has 680 CCA - the Shorai 270. Thats what I call a "non-starter". :D

Then there's the price: $200.00 shipped to my door for the Shorai, $124.00 (Amazon) for the PC680. 38% cheaper :eek: for PROVEN technology.

I'm STILL a huge fan of Panasonic batteries - and at $75.00 for a 20 amp they just can't be beat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. A no-brainer, like you say. Knowing that there are things I don't know ... will my old "Super Smart" Battery Tender work with the Panasonic AGM or do I need to replace that, too?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts