BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike, 2005 LT, came with a Shorai battery. Now the question is should I get the Shorai battery charger or will the regular Battery Tender work?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
The Shorai battery is a Lithium battery, the Battery Tender would work in a pinch if the battery is dead but I wouldn't make a steady diet of it. May I suggest looking at the OptiMate battery chargers. They do make a specific charger for the Lithiums. Here is a link CHARGER. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The Shorai battery is a Lithium battery, the Battery Tender would work in a pinch if the battery is dead but I wouldn't make a steady diet of it. May I suggest looking at the OptiMate battery chargers. They do make a specific charger for the Lithiums. Here is a link CHARGER. Hope this helps.
+1. Has to be one designed for lithium batteries.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Forgot to answer the question about the Shorai charger. I had the Shorai battery and charger for about 3 years. In my opinion the charger was not ready for prime time. The connections were not waterproofed (looked like a kids science project). And you had two selections to charge or to store. It does not do any type of maintaining. Where as the OptiMate charger is a plug and play device. Just plug it in, no buttons to push, no choices to be made. It appears to be a well thought out charger for the Lithium batteries and also lead acid and AGMs. No they didn't pay me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you ride the bike on a regular basis, I wouldn't bother with a charger at all.
It is not necessary.
Unless you have a parasitic draw, the battery will hold it's charge fine.
\and if you DO have a draw, simply disconnect it if the bike sits long term.
I also run a Shorai and it sits through the winter months uncharged...
Come spring, the voltage is still in the high 13's

turn the key and go.

This is not your fathers battery.... :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts