BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, we've hit a wall here and a search didn't show any similar problems.

We have two of the Shoei Multitec helmets, and a couple of the Autocomm type B helmet speaker and microphone setups.

Speakers went in with no problem, but we're stuck on the microphone install. We've tried a number of configurations, and none have been satisfactory.

First, the Multitec is noted for having a microphone hole all cut out in the chin piece, ready for simple insertion of the mike. It seems like a good idea, but when wearing the properly-fitted helmet the hole for the mike is a full inch lower than the mouth. If that weren't bad enough, there is no apparent way to get the mike into the hole without taking apart the helmet or possibly cutting the mike wire and then soldering it back together after insertion. All of which would be do-able, but we'd still end up with an improperly-positioned microphone which wouldn't trigger on the sound of our voice.

Okay, not knowing all of this, we removed the "boom" from the mikes and tried the install by putting tape over the hole and then velcroing the mikes to the tape in the correct position relative to our mouthes. This worked so-so, in that the wiring to the mike had to be taped along its entire path, and the mike would periodically come loose from its velcro mooring.

Now we're at the point of fabricating new booms with some stiff wire and some heat-shrink tubing, and installing the mikes as one would in a 3/4 helmet.. with the boom in front of the mouth. We assume we'll completely ignore the hole the mike is supposed to fit into. This seems a shame, as it would seem like it would be such a nice and clean install if that hole could be used.

I've seen postings by others with Multitecs saying how the hole is in exactly the correct position, and all I can do is scratch my head. :confused:

So, before we attack the problem once more, creating new booms and abandoning the idea of using the Shoei mike hole, does anyone have any insights they might share as to where our understanding of all of this is flawed?

BTW, we love the Multitecs, although I'd be interested in a regular full-face Shoei now that I've realized that a geezer can wear contacts. I was stuck with glasses, which is why I went for a flip-up in the first place. But that's all an aside. We own the Multitecs now, and it will be a few years before we'll want to replace them ($$$), so need to solve this problem somehow.

Thanks for listening to my rambling. It's early for me. :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Same set-up as you... ONLY....

I reviewed the hole and mic thing... Just said NO!

On my install, the boom portion of the mic fits between the outer shell and the inner cheek piece. It extends about 2.5 inches out from the edge of the shell. It does not sit in front of my mouth, but just to the left. And it works perfectly. It's not in my way, I get great Xmit on a GMRS and onboard X-talk is superb. Even at hi-way speeds, I can hear the SO telling me to slow down. :)

I have no idea what others have done, I just know that I looked at the config, said no to major alterations to the bucket and the mic. It's been flawless for over a year now.

You might want to reconsider how your installing your mic...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks UncleMark,

Yes, I think so too. I found another thread somewhere that talked about complete helmet disassembly, torque values for reassembly, etc. Doesn't seem like a great idea when dealing with the device protecting our brain. We haven't changed anything structurally on the helmets. We've just taped wires here and there, and the usual popping on and off of the cheek pads, etc.

Even with the mike touching my lips, I find that I sometimes have to speak up significantly or it cuts in and out. I'm thinking maybe the noise detector isn't positioned optimally either. It seems to be in the position they suggest, and I can't think of any better place for it, but still isn't quite dialed in. I guess it's time to finalize the boom mike setup, and then adjust the Autocomm and see if I can get that trigger level just where it should be. Again. This seems to be a moving target. :D

Thanks again!
Bob

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm following this one with interest. I recently installed speakers and a boom mic inside my Shoei Multitec. Speakers are fine, but I'm not happy with the boom mic as it's just too close to my lips...and even touching them often (which dirves me crazy). I was thinking of using the surface mounted mic instead, but am at a loss for how to route the wires such that there is no interference when I raise/lower the chin bar.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
I sent both my Shoei and HJC Carbon off to J & C to have them do the install of the head sets. Both helmets have the mic sitting low and left of my mouth. When I questioned it, they said it keeps the mic from opening while breathing and the sound quality is better without my breath passing by the mic as I talk, not to mention coughing and the stuff that produces :rolleyes: . Turns out they were right. Sounds much better than my previous helmet that had it right in front of my lips.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
UncleMark said:
Same set-up as you... ONLY....

On my install, the boom portion of the mic fits between the outer shell and the inner cheek piece. It extends about 2.5 inches out from the edge of the shell. It does not sit in front of my mouth, but just to the left. And it works perfectly. It's not in my way, I get great Xmit on a GMRS and onboard X-talk is superb. Even at hi-way speeds, I can hear the SO telling me to slow down. :)

I have no idea what others have done, I just know that I looked at the config, said no to major alterations to the bucket and the mic. It's been flawless for over a year now.

You might want to reconsider how your installing your mic...
Ours are done the same way, with very good results. The only down side is that after a few years of use the tubing on the boom will wear from opening and closing the helmet. That is also after over two years of almost daily use. I haven't repaired mine yet, but even with the tear it still functions fine.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Lonewuff said:
it keeps the mic from opening while breathing
Yep... The way I have it set up now is that it comes on when I'm doing my karaoke thing... Drives the SO nuts... :)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
UncleMark said:
Yep... The way I have it set up now is that it comes on when I'm doing my karaoke thing... Drives the SO nuts... :)
Don't forget who the ORIGINAL Vox-Ox was, and still is...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone!

Fortunately we have a couple of other helmets to use in the meantime, which, since it's 70F and sunny, means now. :D

Appreciate the hints, links and ideas! Will bounce this off my wife a bit and see what we come up with.

Wish these manufacturers would all get together and design these things to actually work with one another. <grin>

Thanks again!
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Bob,
Just one other thought. You didn't mention it, but I assume you've experimented with the VOX sensitivity setting? In addition to mike location, that can make a difference and the sensitivity will vary with the amount of ambient noise, natural volume of your and SO's voices, etc.

·
Registered
333 Posts
UncleMark said:

On my install, the boom portion of the mic fits between the outer shell and the inner cheek piece. It extends about 2.5 inches out from the edge of the shell. It does not sit in front of my mouth, but just to the left. And it works perfectly.
+1 on this setup. I did the same thing, considered trying to put the mic on the chin piece, but got stuck on how to run the wires so that they wouldn't wear or get chopped up. Finally decided to just stick with the boom, and the result works perfectly.

There's enough flexibility in the boom to push it out of the way to eat or drink when the chin piece is raised, no problem. And it doesn't get in the way at all when closing the helmet.

One tip: use a little rubber cement when inserting the boom into the helmet. It doesn't take much adhesive to lock this down nice and tight, but because it's just rubber cement you can always pull it out later and rub off the glue when you need to get a new helmet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts