BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy :wave

Time for new shocks, and I am wanting shocks that would lower the bike a little bit. Sure would be nice to have both feet on the ground.

Does any brand, or supplier offer a shock that would help us short people? :dance:

Thanks,

Chris Ogle

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Howdy,

I believe that springs change the heigth, not the shock.

I just put HyperPro springs on my '03 LT and they raised my LT to near new heigth. They make springs that will lower the bike some, I believe.

Do you have everything removed from under the seat? IE, adjuster, rubber bumbers. That will lower your seat better than 1/2". At least it did on my '03 LT.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I'm not the expert here.

Vern :bmw:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hyperpro's can lower your bike ~1.25" , but then you have to modify the side and center stands. If I didnt have access to free welding it would definitely add to the cost...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
cwo said:
Howdy :wave

Time for new shocks, and I am wanting shocks that would lower the bike a little bit. Sure would be nice to have both feet on the ground.

Does any brand, or supplier offer a shock that would help us short people? :dance:

Thanks,

Chris Ogle
I have the Ohlins on my 03LT, have a 27' inseam, had the shocks customized to my riding style, weight, etc etc etc...... Bike rides great and my feet don't dangle! :histerica

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
foolsparadise said:
Hyperpro's can lower your bike ~1.25" , but then you have to modify the side and center stands. If I didnt have access to free welding it would definitely add to the cost...
I would hesitate to lower the bike because even non aggressive riding ( I think it's not aggressive) in my neighborhood at less than 30 MPH causes parts of the bike to scrape. I would look to lowering the seat, but not the frame. If the foot rest scrapes, they will rise up, but if the frame scrapes, I think it could cause a tumble.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Remedies:

1. New Ohlins or other high end shocks front and rear: $$$$. (and overkill unless you are a VERY aggressive rider on an 800 lb. touring bike.) You also will not be able to use the center or side stands without further modification $$

2. New custom seat lowered and with the nose shaved to allow your legs to get closer to the center line of the bike at stops: $$$ (but you will also get much better overall ride quality and comfort for your butt as well)

3. New, gently used OEM "take off" shock with Hyperpro springs cut for your inseam: $$

4. Have a cobbler add wider (for more traction) taller (even half an inch can sometimes make a HUGE difference) and "gummier" soles and/or heel to your favorite riding boots: $ I like Vibram Mayatur.

As others have pointed out lowering only the rear shock will having you eyeballing EVERY speed bump and every curb. Unless you ALSO lower the front you'll have very strange geometry and it will affect handling adversely. Maintaining level ride height is critical. This is something everyone forgets until they get a tank slapper at 70 going around a curve. :wow:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Remedies:

1. New Ohlins or other high end shocks front and rear: $$$$. (and overkill unless you are a VERY aggressive rider on an 800 lb. touring bike.) You also will not be able to use the center or side stands without further modification $$

2. New custom seat lowered and with the nose shaved to allow your legs to get closer to the center line of the bike at stops: $$$ (but you will also get much better overall ride quality and comfort for your butt as well)

3. New, gently used OEM "take off" shock with Hyperpro springs cut for your inseam: $$

4. Have a cobbler add wider (for more traction) taller (even half an inch can sometimes make a HUGE difference) and "gummier" soles and/or heel to your favorite riding boots: $ I like Vibram Mayatur.

As others have pointed out lowering only the rear shock will having you eyeballing EVERY speed bump and every curb. Unless you ALSO lower the front you'll have very strange geometry and it will affect handling adversely. Maintaining level ride height is critical. This is something everyone forgets until they get a tank slapper at 70 going around a curve. :wow:

Have done #1, #2 and #3. Ride aggressive, have the custome lowered seat and all and had Danner add some height to my riding boots. The Ohlins are superb!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts