BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received and mounted Wilburs, as I look at the new remote adjuster I pondered the thought-what exactly is going on by dialing the knob one way or the other. Without a preload adjuster, a spanner is used to physically increase/decrease the tension on the spring by actually turning a threaded nut against the spring. The Wilburs,Ohlins,others are capable of being adjusted manually, unlike the stock which is not. I tried screwing the stock adjuster with the old shock off the bike to see if I could detect any movement,(similar to a bottle jack maybe, not as extreme of course). I couldn't detect any movement at all. I still assume the remote is exerting pressure internally but don't know how. Can someone explain what's going on in there?

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I don't know about the Wilburs , but the stock shock's preload is done with the remote adjuster . It is hydraulic . If your shock is clapped out , you sometimes need to put some jack oil in it to get it working right .Hope this is of help ...patric ...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
Unless the oil has leaked out the stock shock should show a "ring" piston at the top that compresses the spring about a half inch. Usually the oil has leaked out to a point where there is no movement. There have been procedures published here on how to replenish that oil and restore the pre load function.

The Ohlins do it the same way, compress the spring that is, as I have not seen mine leak at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts