BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am a proud owner of a 2003 K1200LT and have just acquired a 2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited. Now I know there is a lot of controversy About this bike not being a bike and it is true. I however, really want my wife to join me on rides and she simply is not comfortable on the LT. I am 61 and have had my share of balance issues so I felt this was the best choice. Yes, I am keeping my LT! I want to know if anyone out there has the contact for a great enclosed shipper that they have used. The vehicle is sitting in Palm Springs with 257 miles and I simply do not want break in a new bike with a different riding style this time of year. The bike would be shipped to Beaverton, Oregon.

thanks

·
Registered
656 Posts
Been taking a close look at the Can AM figure in a few years its going to be the replacement for the LT

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
lkniess said:
Hello
I am a proud owner of a 2003 K1200LT and have just acquired a 2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited. Now I know there is a lot of controversy About this bike not being a bike and it is true. I however, really want my wife to join me on rides and she simply is not comfortable on the LT. I am 61 and have had my share of balance issues so I felt this was the best choice. Yes, I am keeping my LT! I want to know if anyone out there has the contact for a great enclosed shipper that they have used. The vehicle is sitting in Palm Springs with 257 miles and I simply do not want break in a new bike with a different riding style this time of year. The bike would be shipped to Beaverton, Oregon.

thanks
Easy peasy... cover my airline ticket DFW-PSP and returning PDX-DFW (or DAL instead of DFW if Southwest gets a better deal), pay fuel and lodging for two nights; I will pick it up and ride it to you. Wife wants to go home with me to SoCal and possibly take a motor trip up the coast.

This may work out well for all of us! I expect will be less expensive than shipping it and will give it a good break-in before you get it.

PM to discuss if at all considering this option.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you'r looking for the best shipper in the country, it is
Haulbikes, Daily Direct

I have used them, they haul nothing but bikes and with the insurance included...makes them competitive. First rate service with excellent communications AAA+

Go to their website and check them out www.haulbikes.com

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Easy peasy... cover my airline ticket DFW-PSP and returning PDX-DFW (or DAL instead of DFW if Southwest gets a better deal), pay fuel and lodging for two nights; I will pick it up and ride it to you. Wife wants to go home with me to SoCal and possibly take a motor trip up the coast.

This may work out well for all of us! I expect will be less expensive than shipping it and will give it a good break-in before you get it.

Oh man, a trip up Highway 1 and before the summer fog sets in? AWESOME, I've done it several times and NEVER get tired of it. That would be a perfect break in for a new bike. :yeah:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I can also recommend ABF upack.

You rent space in the front of the trailer and they wall off what you need and use the rest of the space to ship other stuff.

I used them twice to move across country and I believe they would work great for motorcycles and three wheelers..

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,176 Posts
deputy5211 said:

Of course Meese could do the trip in just one day (1063 miles on I-5) as a warm up for another IBA ride...:D That would save you the hotel but would probably require that you buy a new set of tires upon arrival.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Of course Meese could do the trip in just one day (1063 miles on I-5) as a warm up for another IBA ride...:D That would save you the hotel but would probably require that you buy a new set of tires upon arrival.:rolleyes:
Heck, I could do it in a day as well, but NOT with Suzanne along! ;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
This is starting to sound like a "I can name that tune in X notes"

I can ride that ride in 20 hours..

:histerica

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
pauleknight said:

I can ride that ride in about 16 hours, WX and TX permitting (and without the wife riding pillion). Drove NE Dallas to Tucson in about 15 (right about 1,000 miles)...

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
pauleknight said:

Oh, and you are showing your age with that reference. Bad thing is, I remember the show as well! ;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Oh, and you are showing your age with that reference. Bad thing is, I remember the show as well! ;)
Being the son of a family of professional musicians Name That Tune was a hit in my house...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I received some rave reviews of a bike specific shipper called WolverineCycles. They will be picking it up next week and have it here the next day providing the weather cooperates.

I'm grinnin already!

Thanks for the replies and generous offers to "help" out.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
My wife and I did an IronButt on our Yamaha Venture back in 05. We went from Wichita Falls up to Shamrock and out Seligman, Az and back into Flagstaff. It was 1063 miles in 16 hours flat against a SW wind.We were the only ones 2 up.............. :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
rattler50 said:
My wife and I did an IronButt on our Yamaha Venture back in 05. We went from Wichita Falls up to Shamrock and out Seligman, Az and back into Flagstaff. It was 1063 miles in 16 hours flat against a SW wind.We were the only ones 2 up.............. :D
That is quite cool!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Kra961 said:
Been taking a close look at the Can AM figure in a few years its going to be the replacement for the LT
an interesting thought. If BMW doesn't come through with a K1600LT as a replacement... ;) Good to have options.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts