BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be shipping my 2009 K 1200 LT to Ireland in the spring and was wondering when I disconnect the battery, is there anything else I have to do to keep the alarm from going off? Also, when I reconnect the battery is there a secret ritual I have to perform to keep the alarm from sounding?
Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
315 Posts
Don’t know about alarms, but just disconnect the negative if that’s permitted by the shipper.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
I will be shipping my 2009 K 1200 LT to Ireland in the spring and was wondering when I disconnect the battery, is there anything else I have to do to keep the alarm from going off? Also, when I reconnect the battery is there a secret ritual I have to perform to keep the alarm from sounding?
Thanks
Brian
Are you moving there? I spent two weeks riding around Ireland this past September. I was glad I had a rental rather than my LT.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
One point is that the alarm has an internal battery that is kept charged by an "always hot" connection. Best case is either the alarm forgets its programming when you hook it back up, lost the sync with the FOB or it is totally dead. Either way you will have to either re-program it for "immobilizer off" or worst case do a bypass to be able to run the bike. In the case of the FOB sync you just have to set and unset the alarm with the FOB until the alarm actually responds. This is what happened to me on my first clutch job that the battery was disconnected for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not moving, but am going to ride around western Europe for three months so a rental would be cost prohibitive for me. I will ship either the LT or my K1600/sidecar unit over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery will be disconnected for not more than two days while shipping, so maybe my fears are without merit.
Thanks for the info tho.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Not moving, but am going to ride around western Europe for three months so a rental would be cost prohibitive for me. I will ship either the LT or my K1600/sidecar unit over.
Sounds like fun! All of my tours of Europe and the UK have been 2-3 weeks at a time. Shipping my LT would have been cost prohibit, but more importantly the timing is hard to control. And after riding over there three times now, I would not really want to ride my LT. It is just too big and heavy for much of the riding there, particularly in the Alps.

Yes, renting would be cost prohibitive, but it might not be so bad to buy a bike over there, ride it or 3 months and then sell it. You have a great adventure ahead no matter how to cut it. :smile:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, looking forward to it

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Strange thing to say! How do you think all of the UK and european LT owners manage?
Not strange at all. I can drive brads with a 3 lb sledge, but doesn’t make it the best tool for the job. If I had not been riding two-up, I would not have even had the K1600 for my Alps tour and it is 150 lbs or so lighter than the LT. My LT would have been less fun in the Alps than was the K1600, but an 850 would have been much better. :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts