BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving from Michigan to Long Island NY...Yes, they are still without gas, electricity, and HELP.

In any event, I will be needing a 'Lift' for my LT as I don't have enough drivers.

Has anyone on this list successfully 'Shipped' an LT with NO issues?

If your answer is YES, PLEASE give me a call...

Averill Townsend 248-613-9109 (cell) 248-644-7252 (home)

Your response would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Not a LT, but a large tourer- a CLC.... The previous owner shipped my CLC to me in NJ from Chicago area using Keyboard M/C shipping and the driver and overall experience was great. The driver kept in touch with me via cell in advance of arrival and kept me informed of his progress. They say they need to use a motorcycle dealer's address as the destination, but I was able to divert him to a large vacant parking lot just a couple of blocks from my house. They used a secure, rolling pallet system for the bike and overall, I was impressed.

As with most shippers, you don't get a firm start and end date right away. They need to have enough bikes going somewhere, then the truck makes a loop of say, the eastern US. It could take a week for them to pick up the bike, but when they are ready they communicate well with both the pickup and drop off contact people.

When I sold the CLC this past spring, the buyer was from Michigan and he set up the shipping and wanted to use UShip. The driver was in over his head, his truck was in disrepair, and when the bike arrived, it and other bikes had fallen over and my bike alone suffered $5700 in damage! For the first couple of days the driver even attempted to deny causing the damage, trying to say the bike was in that condition when he picked it up. Fortunately, I had digital pictures showing it's condition prior to being shipped and witnesses to state that fact as accurate. It was a nightmare for the buyer but his insurance wound up covering it.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
I have had excellent experience with http://www.haulbikes.com/discounts.html when I had bought my RT this spring, and had it shipped from WA to OH.

They used custom 18 wheelers and haul just bikes. Price was more than reasonable, since they consolidate their hauls. They claim that the drivers are bikers, who cares, which seem to be the case with the guy who delivered my bike.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
One of the moving companies uses pallets designed for MCs. They send out a truck with a rear lift that the LT will roll onto.

My LT went from a pick up here in Tucson, at my house, to Phoenix. 11 days later it arrived in the driveway of where I was visiting in Maine. I packed each side bag and top bag; drained the gas tank to 1/8 or so.

You'll find a few brokers on the net for the moving company.

I think the one I used had an H. D. in their add? At the time a female handled all of my contacts.

If you go that route, I'll see if I can find the agent I used because not all agents quote the same time for shipping, the price is the same tho. And, not all agents respond the same way to customers.

Bob

·
Registered
717 Posts
...or ask for someone willing to ride it out for you. put them up for the night, ship them back the next day via air or rail. Might be cheaper than shipping it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
PadG said:
I have had excellent experience with http://www.haulbikes.com/discounts.html when I had bought my RT this spring, and had it shipped from WA to OH.

They used custom 18 wheelers and haul just bikes. Price was more than reasonable, since they consolidate their hauls. They claim that the drivers are bikers, who cares, which seem to be the case with the guy who delivered my bike.

+1 for Haulbikes.com
I have used them and there are none better out there.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great replies! And, I'm sorry I wasn't more active in the thread...Work got in the way. I'm digesting all your responses and will contact a few of you that had some good experiences.

Many thanks Gentlemen! This site IS THE BEST! :dance:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts