BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get an 'as new' pull behind motorcycle trailer, from the deep south of the US (Houston) to Nova Scotia in Canada. I have contacted the manufacturer to see what carrier they use and have a shipping quote of 750.36 in hand. Can anyone on this forum advise me if there is a better way (read that as cheaper but competent) to do this? Any information will be appreciated. The trailer is still in its original shipping crate and I would not want to see it damaged in transit.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do youhave the dimensions of the crate?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MaverickAR said:
Do youhave the dimensions of the crate?
Crate dimensions: 65" L x 47" W x 42" H; 350 Lb. shipping weight; class 85

·
Registered
249 Posts
In another life I owned a freight forwarding company, but my skilz are rusty at best...

Looks to me your dim weight is around 661 lbs. so thats what your prolly being charged for...not the 350. With a virtual pallet size crate I would talk to an LTL company and get a pallet rate. We use to be charged around $50 a pallet anywhere in the US. So as I see it a couple of options...

1. See if an LTL will international on a pallet rate FOB Houston.

2. Is not LTL it to the closed US location and get a courier to move it across the border.

3. Find a truck (FTL) that has room you can put it on the tail of the load for almost nothing.

Now I know these are just ideas and not specific remedies, but maybe they can help point you in the right direction and save you maybe a couple hundred bucks in the process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts