BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the Shinko tires holding up on the LT's. Anyone please!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I think you will find most people here run Bridgestones, Metzlers and a few Avons.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I mount a lot of tires for a lot of people on a lot of different bikes...

Shinkos and Avons are not that good of a tire. Affordable tires, maybe.
But my thought is that they just aren't worth the savings.

Just my .02.

Ride Western North Carolina** Murphy, NC 28906

·
Registered
248 Posts
I mount a lot of tires for a lot of people on a lot of different bikes...

Shinkos and Avons are not that good of a tire. Affordable tires, maybe.
But my thought is that they just aren't worth the savings.

Just my .02.

Ride Western North Carolina** Murphy, NC 28906
I beg to differ on the Avons. I now have about 5K on my Avons and I am not planning to go back to Metzler any time soon. They handle so much better and with 5K on them I am detecting very little wear. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I beg to differ on the Avons. I now have about 5K on my Avons and I am not planning to go back to Metzler any time soon. They handle so much better and with 5K on them I am detecting very little wear. Just my $.02 worth.
If I got 5K out of the metzelers, I would be a happy rider. >:)
I did the Avons once on my 2002, I barely made it to 1000 miles. I wish I had the pictures.

Let's just agree that we have different riding styles and different riding environments.
(Maybe even a twenty year difference or more in age.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a pair of Shinko verge sport touring tires installed on my St1300 after a tire failure in Northern Ontario. The Shinkos were the only tire available in the size needed for the ST. I also have a 2012 r1200rt with Michelin PR4's. I am meticulous with tire pressure as well, First impression were the Shinkos stuck well enough but were unpredictable in the corners. With about 2000 km on them I was out riding (150 Km) the temp was 26 C.I stopped and did a routine tire check. I literally burned my hand on the rear tire. I had never seen a tire get that hot . I checked and no issues with brake drag or tire pressure. As well they were not usable in the wet.
Replaced with Michelin PR4 and have had no issues.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If I got 5K out of the metzelers, I would be a happy rider. >:)
I did the Avons once on my 2002, I barely made it to 1000 miles. I wish I had the pictures.

Let's just agree that we have different riding styles and different riding environments.
(Maybe even a twenty year difference or more in age.)
I might be old, but trust me I am not ready to give up. Just ask any of my riding buddies. LOL Avon has recently introduced a new tire with a different compound that gives better mileage. Even with agressive riding, i don't understand why you can't get 5K or better with the Mets. As far as riding enviroments, I live about 50 SE of Charlotte, NC and we do a lot of our riding in the mountain areas near your hometown. We will agree on one thing, I don't think either of us want a Shinko tire.:grin:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like most of you I have been using Metzler and Bridgestone tires. Read the thread on Shinko tires last April and thought perhaps by now someone had put enough miles to give a review. Kirk as they say the proof is in the Video and I look foreword to seeing one of your fine videos again

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I'm running a Metz on the front and a Bridgestone on the rear now. I've worn out two sets of Avons and I like them. They don't last as long as the Bridgestone or the Metzeler but they stick better. I run the Avon on my Vulcan 2000 as well but that 120hp pulls that rubber off fast. That right grip will wear out those tires............>:)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I had two Avons, from two different batches, each failing within the first 1000 miles due to manufacturer's flaw. Thanks to brother Meese from this fine community, for providing a used front tire to save my butt and get me back from SoCal to Dallas those many years ago.

Bridgestone did not impress me after running through three pair.

The Metzeler is not the best handling, but provided the best overall experience.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If I were considering a switch from the BMW recommended tires (I'm not!), I would write a letter to Shinko or Avon or whatever you are wanting to experiment with and asking if the will make a recommendation for a BMW K1200LT. I'll bet they will say they do not offer a replacement tire for the bike especially considering the weight specs. I have logged 18k front & 14k rear twice on Metzelers with no complaints. It just isn't worth the risk of a tire failure to save a few bucks on a set of compromise tires.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Chinese tires on a fine piece of German engineering.............sacrilege...............:grin:

Reactions: deputy5211

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a '99 LT. Are the wheels different than the newer models? I've been using the 880's but was thinking about Shinko. I seem to remember that the last time I ordered the 880, it asked what year. Had something to do with the bead and rim shape. Any fact to this and if so does that limit my tire selections?

·
Registered
248 Posts
If I were considering a switch from the BMW recommended tires (I'm not!), I would write a letter to Shinko or Avon or whatever you are wanting to experiment with and asking if the will make a recommendation for a BMW K1200LT. I'll bet they will say they do not offer a replacement tire for the bike especially considering the weight specs. I have logged 18k front & 14k rear twice on Metzelers with no complaints. It just isn't worth the risk of a tire failure to save a few bucks on a set of compromise tires.
Avons are recommended for the K1200LTs(pre 2005). I have always run Metezlers until my last set when I switched to the Avon tires and I love them.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
The early LTs allowed radials, not the newer version...

·
Registered
184 Posts
The early LTs allowed radials, not the newer version...
Any thoughts on why, exactly?

No immediate plans to change from the Metzelers, but I'm curious.:nerd:

Mark:bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
There is quite a bit of info on this in previous tire threads. Basically, if I recall correctly, the suspension geometry is different on the earlier LTs.... :bmw:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
There is quite a bit of info on this in previous tire threads. Basically, if I recall correctly, the suspension geometry is different on the earlier LTs....
One of the many changes with the 2005 and later models was a change in the front steering geometry. I think the rake angle was changed a little, reportedly to improve slow speed handling which was a common complaint from owners of earlier models. How much this change improved slow speed handling is a subject for another discussion, however, there were increasing reports of front end instability (wobble, shake, tank slap) following the change. The bike apparently become more sensitive to wheel imbalance or other factors affecting front end stability. It was around this time that radial tires were no longer listed as recommended fitment for 2005 and later models of the K1200LT.
My assumption is that there is something about the rake angle on 2005+ KLTs and radial tires that doesn't make a good mix...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts