BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new Shinko 777 HD today on my 2005 LT. Installed no problem and the tire has about 1/2 inch of clearance on the swing arm so no problem there. It appears that the profile of the Shinko is more rounded than that of the Metzeler ME880 Marathon it replaced. Something I like about the Metzeler is it never developed the normal rear wheel center flat spot that most rear tires do, it seemed to wear evenly from one side of the tread to the other. The Metzeler that got replaced today had about 11,500 miles on it so I was happy with it's longevity. I only have 1 mile on the Shinko but at $111.00 delivered I'll give it a try and see how it performs and wears.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I have never heard of anyone riding on those. Hopefully you verified whether the load specs match the requirements for LT.
Keep us posted,
BJ

·
Registered
787 Posts
I just checked there website and they do not list a K1200LT on their fitment list. You can buy a Bridgestone for $129.00. Why would you chance a blowout for $18.00 savings. I just do not get it, why people take such chances with their lives for $18.00. Good Luck and I hope it does well for your sake.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked there website and they do not list a K1200LT on their fitment list. You can buy a Bridgestone for $129.00. Why would you chance a blowout for $18.00 savings. I just do not get it, why people take such chances with their lives for $18.00. Good Luck and I hope it does well for your sake.
And why would I be chancing a blowout using the tire I'm using, isn't the Shinko rated the same as the Metzeler ME880? As for the Bridgestones, aren't they radials? And doesn't the 2005-2009 LT call for Bias tires? I chose the tire I did not to save $18.00 but because there are so few options considering that they don't make the ME880 anymore, and I've read others here having problems fitting Metzeler's ME888 because it rubs on the swing arm. So tell me Mr know-it-all, what tire should I have bought and mounted on my bike????

·
Registered
275 Posts
extra wheel spacer = no rub on the metzeler.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
If you really want to know about the Shinko 777 check out this review

·
Registered
794 Posts
Good for you...
I am pretty sure I am going to the Shinko 777 after this 888 finishes pissing me off.
It fits my 2005 just fine, but the ride is Sh!T.
I expected ME880 quality or better from the 888 and the performance is just terrible.
If I were beating on it like I do to every other tire, I could understand.
But I completely changed my riding style when I hop on the LT. I had to. This LT drags everything before I even get my knee down.

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
And why would I be chancing a blowout using the tire I'm using, isn't the Shinko rated the same as the Metzeler ME880? As for the Bridgestones, aren't they radials? And doesn't the 2005-2009 LT call for Bias tires? I chose the tire I did not to save $18.00 but because there are so few options considering that they don't make the ME880 anymore, and I've read others here having problems fitting Metzeler's ME888 because it rubs on the swing arm. So tell me Mr know-it-all, what tire should I have bought and mounted on my bike????
The Bridgestone tires for the LT are bias ply.

It appears that the Shinko is properly rated for the LT, but it is worrisome that Shinko doesn't list it as fitment for the LT. Could be an oversight. Could be a real reason. Only Shinko can answer that question.

If you own a 2005+ LT, I believe the only tires properly rated and recommended by the manufacturer for the LT are the Metz 880 and the Bridgestone BT020. You are playing test rider on any other tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
Why do you keep arguing with any tire post which doesn't meet the criteria set in your closed mind?
All you are doing is increasing your post count. Your join date and mine are the same. The only difference is, I ride a motorcycle often.
Maybe try pushing away from the keyboard and go for a ride. Then you might see that we all have freedoms to do what we want in this country...
Well until your girl Hillary get elected.
You're probably the same guy who won't try quilted toilet paper because you like the feel of the Sears and Roebuck catalog. Lighten up, times change!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well Mr. Know Nothing, see the paragraph below which comes directly from Shinko/WPS US importers web site:

When choosing replacement tires, what is the best method of selecting the right size and type of tires for my motorcycle?

We recommend that you first consult the owner's manual for your motorcycle to find the original size of the front and rear tires. Once you know the sizes, it is imperative that you only purchase tires of the same size recommended in the owner's manual.

Tire manufacturers want to sell lots of tires, so if Shinko does not recommend this tire for the LT, well think about it! Size is not the most important factor, manufacturer ratings are. This tire is not reinforced or V rated.

Do what you will.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not sure what the problem is with the ME888. I just gleaned over 19000 miles from my last set of marathons and the only time the rear tire ever tried to step out on me in rain was on wet cattle guards. Liked them enough to put the same tires back on. I thought they performed very well. And I don't ride like a granny.
Plus when I'm rolling at 85mph thru a sweeper, I don't want to wonder if my tire bead is stout enough.
Recently I had the experience of running thru some west texas sweepers at that speed with high ambient temp & high humidity. Right at the apex of one sweeper, I hit a huge tar patch and the rear did step out about a foot, but then caught and held. There was even an oncoming truck at that moment.
Situations like that call for a tire that's precisely spec'd for the bike. Had to be a lot of lateral force when the tire caught. I'd want a stiff tire that won't break loose from the rim no matter what. Cheap insurance. But do what you want. I know I will.

Bob

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well Mr. Know Nothing, see the paragraph below which comes directly from Shinko/WPS US importers web site:

When choosing replacement tires, what is the best method of selecting the right size and type of tires for my motorcycle?

We recommend that you first consult the owner's manual for your motorcycle to find the original size of the front and rear tires. Once you know the sizes, it is imperative that you only purchase tires of the same size recommended in the owner's manual.

Tire manufacturers want to sell lots of tires, so if Shinko does not recommend this tire for the LT, well think about it! Size is not the most important factor, manufacturer ratings are. This tire is not reinforced or V rated.

Do what you will.
Well Mr Know-it-all, the Shinko 777 HD is reinforced and while it's not v rated, I know the only way your going to get a K1200lt to do 130+ mph is to drive it off of a very high cliff or drop it out of a flying airplane. But thank you Mr Know-it-all for giving me your permission to do what I will:bowdown:.

Now for those other than Mr Know-it-all. I went for a ride last night and I can tell you I really like the way the bike rides with the Shinko on the back. Much more steady when hitting irregularities in the the roadway compared to the Metzeler, and the Shinko gives a very smooth ride. If the Shinko lasts for 10,000 miles I'm going to be a very happy LT rider. Time and miles will tell.

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
Well Mr Know-it-all, the Shinko 777 HD is reinforced and while it's not v rated, I know the only way your going to get a K1200lt to do 130+ mph is to drive it off of a very high cliff or drop it out of a flying airplane. But thank you Mr Know-it-all for giving me your permission to do what I will:bowdown:.

Now for those other than Mr Know-it-all. I went for a ride last night and I can tell you I really like the way the bike rides with the Shinko on the back. Much more steady when hitting irregularities in the the roadway compared to the Metzeler, and the Shinko gives a very smooth ride. If the Shinko lasts for 10,000 miles I'm going to be a very happy LT rider. Time and miles will tell.
Might want to try this next. Will give you many more miles than the Shinko.
:grin:

Car tire

·
Registered
794 Posts
Not sure what the problem is with the ME888. I just gleaned over 19000 miles from my last set of marathons and the only time the rear tire ever tried to step out on me in rain was on wet cattle guards. Liked them enough to put the same tires back on. I thought they performed very well. And I don't ride like a granny.
Plus when I'm rolling at 85mph thru a sweeper, I don't want to wonder if my tire bead is stout enough.
Recently I had the experience of running thru some west texas sweepers at that speed with high ambient temp & high humidity. Right at the apex of one sweeper, I hit a huge tar patch and the rear did step out about a foot, but then caught and held. There was even an oncoming truck at that moment.
Situations like that call for a tire that's precisely spec'd for the bike. Had to be a lot of lateral force when the tire caught. I'd want a stiff tire that won't break loose from the rim no matter what. Cheap insurance. But do what you want. I know I will.

Bob
If I get 6K miles out of the ME888 I will be happy. On my last LT I could easily get 4K out of the ME880.
My riding conditions are MUCH better than yours!
Like my other post the current LT does not lean as far as my 2002. So tires should last a little longer.
I am betting my LT wishes it was still in Connecticut with the last owner. I bet he got 19K out of a set of tires, too.
If I am riding a bike to the point where I get 19K miles on tires, I will stop riding and just drive a car.

Just watch your mirrors... move right so we can pass you.>:)

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
If I get 6K miles out of the ME888 I will be happy. On my last LT I could easily get 4K out of the ME880.
My riding conditions are MUCH better than yours!
Like my other post the current LT does not lean as far as my 2002. So tires should last a little longer.
I am betting my LT wishes it was still in Connecticut with the last owner. I bet he got 19K out of a set of tires, too.
If I am riding a bike to the point where I get 19K miles on tires, I will stop riding and just drive a car.

Just watch your mirrors... move right so we can pass you.>:)
I need to get a little more mileage out of my ME880. I am a little over 5K and they were pretty new when i got the bike so lets say 6K total. I have a BT-20 mounted on my spare rim but when I do pull the 880 off, I may try the Shinko 777. Yes, it is only a H speed rating (19 MPH difference) and I do know more goes into the speed rating in tire construction than just MPH but with a 79 reinforced load rating and the way I ride, I would feel pretty safe that the tire would hold up as I rarely even hit 90. By then, more will be using this tire I think and providing feedback on how it holds up under different types of usage. Those putting a lower load rated tire on and boasting about it on this forum as an appropriate thing to do I think are doing a disservice to the community though. Yes, our properly rated tire selection is very limited. It is what it is. The 777 might just fit the bill though as an acceptable addition in many cases. JMO

MikeE, If I see you coming, I will get over but only if I have to >:)

I know the roads in your area and ride there when I can. If anyone is able to test out a tires life, it is you. Those roads are brutal on tires if ridden with enthusiasm but boy are they fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just so were all clear here, the directions Shinko Has posted etc are written that way for liability. The tire listed is FINE for the LT because it meets the criteria. The tires BMW lists are that way because they were there at the time all this was posted. Things are not going to be updated immediately every time something new comes out. The tire meets the load rating criteria etc which IS meeting the manufacturers recommendations. Shinko makes excellent drag racing tires, excellent tires for touring etc, im willing to bet this tire will probably do well also. Not sure why people are getting so fired up, aftermarket items are totally fine as long as requirements are met. Yup, I'm new here, but dad was a bike mechanic my entire life, HD school graduate, and later factory trained on Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, AND BMW. Tires should be great, give em a ride and let us know what you think.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Do what you will.
I just wanted to point out that the print used to try and reinforce Nortons opinion in fact says NOTHING about type / Manufacturer of tire but does in fact clearly say to use the owners manual to get the right size etc, which I believe the Shinko is. Maybe im missing something here? It says same SIZE of the recommended tires, not make or model... Just throwing that out there. im done here... Try the veal....

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
So my question is...
Does Shinko make a tire to fir the front of my LT?
Mark, I did some quick checking and Shinko does make tires the right size that are rated 58 V or higher but I did not see a biased ply among the ones I found so if you feel the need to run a biased ply tire, they may not have one for you or I didn't see one listed as such.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts