BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks everyone for allowing me post on this forum. As I am a new member and a brand new BMW owner, I am starting with a very simple question. As I have always rode Asian bikes which have a noticeable "clunk" when shifting into first gear, I'm not feeling that on my 2000 K1200LT. I bought the bike yesterday and this is the first thing I noticed. It does go into first but someitmes not as soon as you push down on the shifter. Have to wait for the neutral light to go out. Is this normal? Is it becasue it's so cold here in KY? Do I need to change out fluids? Sorry for the spazzing.... it is a beautiful bike with only 38,000 miles. But as you can tell, I'm not at all familiar with German Engineering and will probably wear this forum out. Thanks so much in advance !

·
Registered
335 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. My '00 model was clunky/noisy in shifting through all gears, but it worked just fine. My '05 model not so much. I think BMW changed to helical gears as of the '05 model which makes shifting smoother and quieter. On both bikes, shifting from neutral into first gear, more often than not, required releasing the clutch a bit to allow everything to line up for the gear change. I'm not sure that is what you are experiencing but if it is, it is normal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Tips....it'll take me some time to tune in to a bike like this. A little bit more sophisticated than I'm used to.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,559 Posts
The cut of the gear makes no difference in shifting as they are all meshed all the time. The gears are selected via shift "dogs" on the sides of the gears. The best way is to ease out the clutch a wee bit as you select first and it will pop right in. There is no drag on a dry clutch like a wet clutch has that keeps the gears moving a bit in neutral.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hey MB, welcome to the forum !
Lots of good info here (as you can see already). You're going to love your new bike! (Specially if you enjoy twisting a spanner)

When I got My 2000 KLT, I found the shifting a little difficult at first, so I changed to full synthetic gear oil, and started preloading, slightly, on the upshift.
Much better.... Really.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys ! I believe I'm gonna feel right at home here. So much good info already. I appreciate the help and the patience.

·
Registered
683 Posts
One way to minimize the first gear issue is to not have to shift into first from a stand still...Let me explain...When you park an LT, you should get into the habit of leaving the bike in 1st gear (presuming you downshift to slow the bike to a stop + brakes) then while stopped, put the side stand out...Ta da! the engine stops, you wait for a bit with the bike upright, then lean it onto the side stand....Why the process?? Why in gear??
The big heavy LT likes to roll off the side stand and onto the ground, unless the "parking brake" is engaged (1st gear) if you develop the habit as described, you will always park the bike with the parking brake engaged, avoiding the dreaded "drop". The part about waiting a bit with the bike upright before leaning on the stand is to allow the oil in the cylinders to drain back into the crankcase, to reduce the oil fog on startup later. Finally, (unless you need reverse) you just pull in the clutch, kick up the side stand, and start the bike, ease out the clutch and off you go....no shifting into first, cause you're already there! Yea, this is probably a little beyond the point of your question, and I figured that since you just got the bike, it might be a good time to go over this little operational point... :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again...great info....parking brake. Thanks guys. This BMW is a totally diffferent world than I've ever experienced. I welcome any and all advice !

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I was used to HDs. The LT is a lot easier. especially if you let ou the clutch a wee bit.

Next question should be about the whine when you are in 5th going down the highway some where around 4K--yup. It's normal.

You can run her at 5-6K all day if you like; especially in the twisties--just back off the throttle a little and she slows right down.

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please keep 'em coming. These little tid bits are very helpful. One question...I was told not to worry about draining the tranny and replacing with fresh oil. Thoughts? I am planning on performing the normal engine oil and filter change as I will feel better to know it's fresh and I was planning to service the tranny oil....but now??? Thanks again guys !

·
Registered
847 Posts
A nother oil change you should do for sure is the final;and you be surprised how much better it would shift if you greased the ball joints on the shifter.

Gary
2003 K1200LT

·
Registered
989 Posts
jzeiler said:
... The best way is to ease out the clutch a wee bit as you select first and it will pop right in. There is no drag on a dry clutch like a wet clutch has that keeps the gears moving a bit in neutral.
+1, what the Man says.
For anyone who grew up on European cars of the 60's-70's, this is a natural behavior: lightly (very lightly) keep pressing the lever into first, while slightly (very slightly) releasing the clutch to make the gears move with respect to each other. Clunk! Here it goes!

The other trick with BMW gearboxes and clutches is to "preload" the shift lever prior to changing gears. As you ride, lightly press the gear lever toward desired gear before the actual shift procedure - then just touch the clutch lever, adjust engine revs and: Clunk! Here it goes!

GaryEm said:
... surprised how much better it would shift if you greased the ball joints on the shifter....
Very true!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I find Redline Shockproof Heavy Gear Oil makes for smoother shifts.
Clutch slightly in/out to engage and slight up pressure on shifter as mentioned do the trick.
+1 on keeping the shift lever linkage greased.
Just "search" and consult the FAQ and Hall of Wisdom links.
Welcome and Safe Travels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts