BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is in garage on center stand. Shifter linkage is broken. Bike is in 1st gear.

How can I get the bike into 3rd gear so I can ride the 30 miles to the BMW shop?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Howdy, Dale..
Take off the left footrest plate. You will see the "broken" linkage.

nudge the bike into the desired gear.. rock the rear wheel to help change gears.

Put the left footrest plate back on.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried that. That's what led to the question. Maybe I'm just not strong enough. The wheel rotates (freewheels) to a point then goes no further.

Is this a two man job?

I feel so helpless.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You shouldnt have any problem getting it to go into gear. You could always "rig" a string or something onto the linkage intact to pull up twice to shift to third once its running or moving if need be.

Are you putting bike on center stand, and pulling up on operable portion of linkage (that IS still connected) behind the plate, rotating the back wheel a bit if needed? If not on the stand then rock the bike back and forth rotating the wheel.

Dont forget you have a gear indicator on the dash if you are unsure of which gear you are in.

Hope that helps..... :bmw:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Maybe this is stupid, but it happened to me too.

But I just drove it in 1st gear to the dealer.

(I only had 7 miles to go, in town)

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you want to go up in gears wouldn't you push down?

·
Registered
749 Posts
You can use pliers or vice grips to get the bike in 3rd gear. You can start from a stop in thoid if you power up and let the clutch slip a bit and then you can ride on down to the dealer. Many carry extra shift linkage kits for just such an occasion.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
Pushing down will only get you first. Go back and find neutral. With your left hand on the wheel and the right hand on the small lever at the transmission rock the wheel and push up on the lever. You will feel the click in the linkage and the wheel will no longer be free. You are now in second gear. Do this one more time while rocking the wheel back and forth and when you feel the click you will be in third.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jzeiler said:
Pushing down will only get you first. Go back and find neutral. With your left hand on the wheel and the right hand on the small lever at the transmission rock the wheel and push up on the lever. You will feel the click in the linkage and the wheel will no longer be free. You are now in second gear. Do this one more time while rocking the wheel back and forth and when you feel the click you will be in third.
It is now official - I AM A DUMBASS.

Been pushing down when I should have been pushing up.

Thank you John. I am now in 3rd gear (it was so easy when pushing up).

Sorry guys for taking up valuable space just to show my stupidity.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
Sorry guys for taking up valuable space just to show my stupidity.[/QUOTE]
Dale not to worry most of us have been there done that and will I am sure do it again :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,908 Posts
dalehere said:
You are allowed two of those before we really tear into you:histerica !

·
Registered
67 Posts
dalehere said:

Been pushing down when I should have been pushing up.

Thank you John. I am now in 3rd gear (it was so easy when pushing up).

Sorry guys for taking up valuable space just to show my stupidity.

I once pushed an old Honda CB750 for five miles, out of gas, when this guy in a pick up pulls over, gets out, grabs my bike and throws it in the back of his truck. No kidding. He looks at me and says, 'get in'. We are on our way to the nearest gas station and he's asking me what the problem is and I tell him. 'I'm out of gas'. He says, 'the reserve too?' I look at him with that look that clearly says, huh? Little did I know that I had a whole gallon of gas left in that sucker, now leaking out the back of his truck. I think I felt a little like you must have felt.
Glad you got it worked out.
Rick.

·
Registered
659 Posts
secretaryrick said:
I once pushed an old Honda CB750 for five miles, out of gas, when this guy in a pick up pulls over, gets out, grabs my bike and throws it in the back of his truck. Rick.
That guy do steroids ???:eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts