BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the community and new to the K1200LT. :confused: I recently purchased a 2000 K1200LT with 15100 miles and I am having problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I have adjusted the linkage both directions and it does not seem to help. If I pull in the clutch after second gear is engaged and work the shifter about 10 times or more it eventually shifts into 3rd gear and then 4th and 5th are no problem at all. Also, shifting from 5th all the down to 1st is no problem either. But once I go back down all the way to 1st the same symptoms happen again and I cannot get past 2nd unless I really work the shifter up what seems like a hundred up shift attempts and then it goes into 3rd etc. A note, if I stop at 2nd gear on the way down and I do not go into 1st I have no trouble going from 2nd to 3rd, 4th, 5th back up again. So, I have been leaving the transmission in 2nd from a stoplight and I have no troubles except for great wear on the clutch. I recently changed the transmission fluid, and after reading the posts, changed the fluid again to Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w-140 and that did not help. I have also bled and flushed the clutch.

The Gear indicator is also not reading correctly, 1st indicates "0" Green Neutral, neutral indicates "2", and there are no other readings in any other gear.

As far as the shift linkage goes, the longer rod which attaches to the shifter I believe is for comfort and is adjustable for height up and down for different foot sizes etc. Can some one please tell me about the rear linkage, as in does shortening it produce greater travel on the shifting mechanism or does lengthening it? Which way should I be adjusting it and by how much?

Thanks for all your great info.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Have you tried "preloading" the shifter with your foot (mentioned here several places)? Once you hit 2nd, relax your foot and then apply some up pressure on the lever, squeeze the clutch, roll of throttle and let your foot pressure push the shifter on up.
Dunno about the indication problem but I know it has been posted about on here before.
Try these threads.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36128&highlight=gear+indicator
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26212&highlight=gear+indicator
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36269&highlight=gear+indicator

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I spoke to soon and after sleeping on it I found the problem! I removed both linkages and looked at the actual shifter arm which attaches directly to the transmission. It was sitting at exactly 90 degrees to me. I removed the shifter arm and looked at the splines and there is a marked line on the arm. I reinstalled the arm but moved it down one spline so the arm sits angling down a little. Low and behold after reassembly it shifts like a dream and talk about smooth! I have 2 Harley's and a Ducati St4 and owned a Ducati 748 and this is by far the smoothest shifting tranny I have been on. Now if I can get the shift indicator to work right!?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Randy,

That is a new data point I don't think we have seen here before. I'll have to file that one away. Thanks for sharing that solution. That is what makes this site so great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts