BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a trouble up shifting from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th. Down shifts are no problem. Shift linkage was lubed 4000 miles ago. Is it time to lube the shift linkage?/

Al

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
If you recently lubed the shift linkage with good quality grease, then that shouldn't be the problem. Did you also tighten down all the ball studs correctly? It may be that one of those is coming loose, meaning a failure might be imminent.

Either way, it's a pretty easy job to pop off the footplate and see what's really going on down there.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
In addition to the issues Ken pointed out, how does your clutch feel? When does it start to engage? How many miles on the clutch? How many miles on the slave cylinder? A clutch that is not fully disengaging can make for rough upshifts.

·
Registered
809 Posts
mjordans2000 said:
In addition to the issues Ken pointed out, how does your clutch feel? When does it start to engage? How many miles on the clutch? How many miles on the slave cylinder? A clutch that is not fully disengaging can make for rough upshifts.
When I lost fluid in the clutch res., I found downshifts to be almost impossible. It was the upshifting that wasn't so noticeable.

I'd check the ball studs as Meese mentioned; 1/4 or 5/16 wrench (I don't remember which one) fit mine.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,919 Posts
wacolt said:
I'd check the ball studs as Meese mentioned; 1/4 or 5/16 wrench (I don't remember which one) fit mine.
They are 8 MM if you want a proper wrench.

·
Registered
809 Posts
jzeiler said:
They are 8 MM if you want a proper wrench.
Rats, you caught me!

Thanks,
Curt

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the clutch has 17,000 miles on it. I am going to check it out this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Al
Spokane WA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts