BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, after a day of riding my 2018 R1200RT, I stopped near my home to refuel and noticed that the shifter peg was about to fall off of the shifter arm. I have attached a photo of the peg, which has an Ilium Works #10-300 Shift extension slipped over the rubber OEM peg. Is the OEM peg only secured to the arm with a press fit? I see no signs of any welding or other mechanical attachment. If that's the case, it's not surprising that the joint would eventually fail considering that the arm appears to be a cast non-ferrous material not more than 12mm thick with a 10mm bore through. The Ilium Extension increases the peg length 3/4" which might increase the bending moment on the joint slightly but it just seems to me that relying on an approximate 10mm diameter by less than 12mm long press fit in a non-ferrous casting is destined to fail when exposed to constant bending forces of upshifting and downshifting. I have 18,500 miles on the bike.
Anybody else have similar experience and possibly a more permanent remedy? Fortunately I noticed this while refueling near home. Having the peg fall off on the highway far away from home would be a major inconvenience.

Household hardware Cylinder Gas Nickel Auto part

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting. I have a '20 RT and also have an Ilium shifter extension on the lever (as well as on my '19 GSA). I'll have to go look at the shifters tomorrow. Thanks for posting. Please keep us informed...

·
Registered
2021 BMW R 1250 RT, 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA, 2014 HD FLHTK, 2005 Honda Goldwing
73 Posts
Sorry for your mishap. Never had a use for them but a friend installed one of these and experienced a very similar outcome within 12 months of use. Apparently the extension (especially when used from its most outer point) can add sufficient additional force to compromise this connecting point. If memory serves me right I did see something from BMW advising against the use of shift extenders.
Personally and in more than 20 years of riding BMW's, including off road with various GSA's, I've never had a failure of this connection.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, my temporary fix of the failed connection of the shifter peg to the shifter arm has become permanent. After the peg fell off I was left with a shifter arm with a 10mm hole in it. The price of a replacement OEM arm with peg is about $185. I suppose there are other options but for a quick fix at a cost of $8, I installed a 10mm stainless steel bolt, nut and lockwasher and screwed a piece of 3/8" I.D. vinyl tubing over the exposed threads. It may not be elegant but I'm certain it's more robust than the OEM execution and I find it functions excellently. A photo is attached.
Automotive tire Automotive design Carbon Rim Bumper

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
322 Posts
So, my temporary fix of the failed connection of the shifter peg to the shifter arm has become permanent. After the peg fell off I was left with a shifter arm with a 10mm hole in it. The price of a replacement OEM arm with peg is about $185. I suppose there are other options but for a quick fix at a cost of $8, I installed a 10mm stainless steel bolt, nut and lockwasher and screwed a piece of 3/8" I.D. vinyl tubing over the exposed threads. It may not be elegant but I'm certain it's more robust than the OEM execution and I find it functions excellently. A photo is attached. View attachment 179011
Looks OEM to me. Kinda like "Harley OEM". 😁
Maybe toss in a request by part number to BeemerBoneyard, and one of these days, they'll come up with a used OEM part for ya.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R 1250 RT, 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA, 2014 HD FLHTK, 2005 Honda Goldwing
73 Posts
Functional but in need of Chrome to qualify as "Harley OEM". :cool:

Good Luck and safe travels!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I very nearly had mine pressed out so I could machine a part to extend the gear shifter shaft by 25mm. Now all I have to do is keep an eye on it until it becomes loose enough to hand remove.

Added to my daily checklist.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
So, my temporary fix of the failed connection of the shifter peg to the shifter arm has become permanent. After the peg fell off I was left with a shifter arm with a 10mm hole in it. The price of a replacement OEM arm with peg is about $185. I suppose there are other options but for a quick fix at a cost of $8, I installed a 10mm stainless steel bolt, nut and lockwasher and screwed a piece of 3/8" I.D. vinyl tubing over the exposed threads. It may not be elegant but I'm certain it's more robust than the OEM execution and I find it functions excellently. A photo is attached. View attachment 179011
Looks good to me. Just call it a custom shifter!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts