BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, new KLT owner. Going over the bike and checking things and when I pulled the shifter linkage off to service it, I found one of the cups damaged. Can see it in the picture below. The clip was bent and it broke the piece that holds it in, Is this something that happens normally or did I do it when I pulled it off? I got some stainless steel ones from McMaster and I'm replacing all of them at the same time, but I didn't know if it was normal wear.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
looking at the photo I would guess the pivot ball has come loose at some stage, the owner has had a problem shifting and stomped on the shifter causing that damage I would not re use it if it were mine the clip on there is not the genuine clip as well. The pivot ball does and can come loose, that's why every year I remove the whole system off mine and service it, good pickup check the ball is screwed in tight and use lock tight on the thread if you screw them out .

·
Registered
575 Posts
My advice would be to ditch the whole BMW linkage assembly and replace them with a set of these PowerGrid shifter kits.
I did mine the other day and they are very well built, much tougher than the original, and never need to be serviced again.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Wazza, PowerGrid is the way to go. Changed mine out several years ago what a big difference. No mushy feeling in shift linkage, no maintenance one of the best mods I have done to the old girl 2009 K1200LT.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Every time these get talked about, all the praisers fail to mention that the OEM links are designed to break before damage is done to things inside the transmission. If you do go down and hit the lever, the force that might just break the linkage will now be transferred through the more sturdy link to the internal parts of the transmission potentially causing internal damage. Not saying they are not good, just they may be too good ;) Just a word of warning should you decide to go with them and take the risk of a fall bending shift forks and such rather than just damaging the linkage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have them on my 03. I don't recall them being any larger diameter or heavy duty. just that the ball and socket part is sealed and does not require
cleaning or lucubration.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have them on my 03. I don't recall them being any larger diameter or heavy duty. just that the ball and socket part is sealed and does not require
cleaning or lucubration.
Yes they are bigger, at least twice as thick but I don't believe it would cause damage to the transmission. If you had a fall the shift lever is more inclined to be bent sideways rather than straight up.
Your foot peg is also slightly below the shift lever so it would take some of the sting out of a fall.
I rode my LT for the first time since installing the Power Grids yesterday and I was amazed at how much better it felt.
Mind you, I don't believe anything is maintenance free. You should always periodically check all mechanical components.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes they are bigger, at least twice as thick but I don't believe it would cause damage to the transmission. If you had a fall the shift lever is more inclined to be bent sideways rather than straight up.
Your foot peg is also slightly below the shift lever so it would take some of the sting out of a fall.
I rode my LT for the first time since installing the Power Grids yesterday and I was amazed at how much better it felt.
Mind you, I don't believe anything is maintenance free. You should always periodically check all mechanical components.
The shoulder bolt that holds the lever and the pivot between the two links need some lube now and then. And yes the lever will bend
(first hand knowledge!)

·
Registered
575 Posts
The shoulder bolt that holds the lever and the pivot between the two links need some lube now and then. And yes the lever will bend
(first hand knowledge!)
Yes, one of the first things I did when I bought the bike was to remove the old linkages and clean them. It looked like it had never been done. I noticed that the ball joint at the foot shift lever was sloppy from wear. I think even from new these ball joints have a small amount of play due to the way they are meant to clip together.
I lubed up all the ball joints and the transfer tube bushing and then checked that the ball threads were tight in their positions. It didn't make much if any difference to the shifting. Often hit and miss.
The new Power Grids however made the world of difference. Yesterdays ride was trouble free.

·
Registered
56 Posts
the seals are available from motorworks in the uk but should be available from a bearing supplier. that is the only diferance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I suppose the Power Grid linkage is good, but my LT shifts so easy and smooth, I can't see how anyone can break the linkage, unless you go Cro-Magnon on the shift lever. I took mine apart and cleaned and lubed, but it is in great shape and I don't think it will be breaking any time soon.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I suppose the Power Grid linkage is good, but my LT shifts so easy and smooth, I can't see how anyone can break the linkage, unless you go Cro-Magnon on the shift lever. I took mine apart and cleaned and lubed, but it is in great shape and I don't think it will be breaking any time soon.
Mine has likewise worked fine with occasional maintenance. I also can't imagine breaking the linkage, but then I've watched many a Harley rider shift by literally lifting their foot off the peg and kicking the shifter. Do that on an LT and I can send where problems would occur, particularly if the ball joints were dry.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I replaced mine after I broke it in a panic stop. I was stomping on everything when that idiot pulled out in front of me. I bought the aftermarket parts.
:surprise:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts