BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all this talk about shift linkage I figured I might as well service mine. I got it all apart and cleaned and greased (even made felt washers for the disintegrated seals). Put everything back together and now no shifting. Neither up or down. Did I screw something up with the reverse? HELP!
Robert

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, now I'm pretty sure it has something to do with reverse. I cannot engage reverse nor can I shift gears. If I move the reverse switch slightly to the rear the starter will not operate. I assume that means the limit switch is working properly unless there are two or more switches for different operations.
Robert

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I fiddled with it some more and it is all working now, sort of. The reverse lever seems to be flakey. I started the bike up on the centerstand and ran it through the gears then back to neutral. The reverse selector then was free and shifted in and out several times, no problem. then it would not move freely. I ran it through the gears again and then it worked fine. Right now it is OK. God do I hate mechanical mysteries. What is going on? Is it related to me changing the trans fluid to BMW synthetic? Help!

Robert.

·
Registered
576 Posts
FWIW, if nobody responds, you've been elected the leading expert, do not feel offended! :D

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,420 Posts
Just be aware that shifting into reverse amounts to lining up some straight cut gears. If they are not lined up they will NOT go. Better way to check smooth operation is on the center stand, in neutral, rotate the rear wheel with your one hand and move the F/R lever with the other one. Some times I have to move the bike a little to get reverse to engage, just depends how the gears are lined up at the time. Sounds like you are OK as nothing in the shift linkage will affect the reverse stuff.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jzeiler said:
Just be aware that shifting into reverse amounts to lining up some straight cut gears. If they are not lined up they will NOT go. Better way to check smooth operation is on the center stand, in neutral, rotate the rear wheel with your one hand and move the F/R lever with the other one. Some times I have to move the bike a little to get reverse to engage, just depends how the gears are lined up at the time. Sounds like you are OK as nothing in the shift linkage will affect the reverse stuff.

Thanks John. I kinda figured that out. I just panicked after lubing the ball joints then nothing worked. This fat girl has me somewhat spooked. I just need to get more miles on her.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
My 02 required a little finesse about 1/2 the time too, when I tried to engage the reverse. Seems like an occasional slight bike roll movement. Hard to describe, but the way that John described it seems to be the the best explanation.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
DanDiver said:
My 02 required a little finesse about 1/2 the time too, when I tried to engage the reverse. Seems like an occasional slight bike roll movement. Hard to describe, but the way that John described it seems to be the the best explanation.
+1 on my '05.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts