BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have a spare set of linkage with me on my LT. I saw them advertised as "BMW K1200LT Shifter Linkage Kit 6mm Mounting Studs" on Ebay. It also mentioned some with 8mm studs. Are the 6mm studs the right ones for my '02 LT?

Thanks in advance!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
Yes. All your ball stud threads are 6mm.

The 05 and up changed the one on the shift lever to 8 mm but all the rest are 6mm.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I still can't see the need to purchase this shift link "upgrade". I recently changed the gearbox oil at 25,000 Kms, all was good, but I find since the oil change that shifting is even better than previous. Shouldn't be, but it is. I think it takes some practice to be gentle and quick on the changes as well as shifting above 3000 rpm, seems to make a difference to smoothness and above 4000 it's even better. Preload the lever slightly with the toe, snick the clutch and it's done, smooth as.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My purpose is to have a spare (and maybe install it kkeeping the old) set of linkage. As a newbie to LT's I have been warned (by many) that the external shift linkage is a weak point, and unlike many other bikes WILL strand you. Mine shifts smoothly, just a lot of slop, which to me implies iminent failure.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I suggest you should dismantle the stock unit and check where the looseness is coming from. Some have been known to have a ball stud come loose, normally from rough shifting practice. Go through the whole thing, loctite the threads for the ball studs and lubricate all the joints. It should then feel quite precise in its action.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
davewrit said:
My purpose is to have a spare (and maybe install it kkeeping the old) set of linkage. As a newbie to LT's I have been warned (by many) that the external shift linkage is a weak point, and unlike many other bikes WILL strand you. Mine shifts smoothly, just a lot of slop, which to me implies iminent failure.
Linkage failure will not strand you along side the road. You can shift to 3rd by reaching behind the cover plate and shift the gearbox by hand. Ride it home and fix the linkage.

Loren

·
Registered
461 Posts
Personally I like the linkage being the weak link , as getting inside the trans is long and expensive trip me thinks . Kept mine clean and oiled for 75K trouble free miles .

Bob G
99Lt traded in
11 RT

·
Super Moderator
1,409 Posts
A former member put together a replacement shifter ket for the pre-2005 models
Have not seen this being offered in quite sometime.

The heavy duty one listed on eBay is a replacement for the factory original. If
you have detail questions as to suitability drop the seller a message and make
sure he offers a return if the fit up does not work for your year bike!!

Within reason I have always run with a few items that can leave me stranded:
- spare shift linkage
- air pump
- tire repair lit

On my 2002 LT here are few other items that can leave you stranded that were a
problem for me and you might want to do some Preventative Maintenance:

- throttle cables - mine snapped about 1/4" from the hand grip
(upgrade them now on pre 2005 bikes - requires drilling the bottom bar cover)

- BMW brake lines ruptured consider replacement:
(Speigler - http://www.spieglerusa.com/brake-line-kit-180.htm)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,176 Posts
davewrit said:
My purpose is to have a spare (and maybe install it keeping the old) set of linkage. As a newbie to LT's I have been warned (by many) that the external shift linkage is a weak point, and unlike many other bikes WILL strand you. Mine shifts smoothly, just a lot of slop, which to me implies iminent failure.
If you get a lot of slop it just means that you need to remove, inspect, clean, lube, and reassemble. You linkage is probably coming loose and eventually break if you don't attend to it.
Since you are thinking of preemptive measures you should be good!;)

·
Registered
494 Posts
davewrit said:
I want to have a spare set of linkage with me on my LT. I saw them advertised as "BMW K1200LT Shifter Linkage Kit 6mm Mounting Studs" on Ebay. It also mentioned some with 8mm studs. Are the 6mm studs the right ones for my '02 LT?

Thanks in advance!
Dave I have one that I bought years ago for a 2002 LT that I don't need for my 09. If you give me your address I will send it to you for free.... I never had to use it, it still in the same envelope it came in.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,994 Posts
I carry the stronger one made from someone in North Dakota (I think) but I prefer the stock linkage because it is so easy to remove to clean & make sure the ball studs are still tight. I also carry two spare ball studs (both sizes) and I do not recommend using any Loktite on the threads because if the ball does break you want to be able to remove the threaded part by hand. If you use Loktite you will need to drill the threaded piece & use an easy out to remove the broke off piece.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts