BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being slightly boored and remembering I'd not done the ball-socket lube on my shift linkage at the 12K service, I decided this afternoon to simply dive in. I've been hesitant, as I'd read several had problems with the 'ball socket wires'. Only problem I've got is one of the wires was missing.

I pulled both rods, the pivot and the shift lever itself. Cleaed all bearing surfaces, lubed with some mobil sythetic general purpose grease, re-assembled and took 'er for a test drive. I even pulled and lubed the pillion pegs. Total time, 47 minutes.

I did find the 2 balls screwed into the pivot were only 'finger tight'. Simply snugged 'em up again.

WOW!! what a diff!! I can only encourage anyone who has been hesitant to do this to "git 'er done!". MUCH smoother, easy and simple to do. I'd guess I was setting myself up for a broken linkage and didn't even know it.

Anyone got a spare retention wire? May not be 'needed', but I'd like the 'piece of mind'.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
I'll have to look back but I think David S posted that these are available through McMaster Carr in a bag of 10 for the price of one from the dealer. Best part is no minimum order. I'll see if I can find the PN.

McMaster-Carr pn 9416K77 pk of 10 $2.63. OEM 0.50 each.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
grifscoots said:
I've got one, pm with your addy. You do the tranny one, too?

Shore did - top ball of the tranny linkage is the one that's missing the retention wire clip pin thingy.

PM on the way! Thanks!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Zotter said:
-----------Anyone got a spare retention wire? May not be 'needed', but I'd like the 'piece of mind'.
I bought 10 of them, will gladly send you a one.

Or you can order them yourself. McMaster Carr has a package of 10 for $2.63
www.mcmaster.com
part number 9416K77

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John, Dave - Grif has one a come'n to cover me. But I do think it's a good idea to have a bag on hand for 'spares'. It's cheap enough insurance.

Plus, if I get the odd traveler or two through town now and then...

Mmm, may haffta get me a spare of Phil's linkage kit too...

We may not have a dealer, but I may well end up building me a depot here in Wyoming.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Funny thing, I was comming home from a ride on Saturday and was about 5 km from home went to shift from first to second and nothing happened. Had a look and couldnt find anything just asumed I had broken a linkage and rode home in 1st gear. Embarassing the Battlestar in limp home mode. When i stripped it down I too had a loose ball on the gearbox linkage, so loose it had fallen out. Undid it, cleaned it and applied locktite and put it back. Is this a known problem or is it going to be?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Craigo said:
Funny thing, I was comming home from a ride on Saturday and was about 5 km from home went to shift from first to second and nothing happened. Had a look and couldnt find anything just asumed I had broken a linkage and rode home in 1st gear. Embarassing the Battlestar in limp home mode. When i stripped it down I too had a loose ball on the gearbox linkage, so loose it had fallen out. Undid it, cleaned it and applied locktite and put it back. Is this a known problem or is it going to be?
Oh yeah, it's known. You did the right thing. A little loctite and snug her up. Be sure to clean and lube the ball. When the joint gets stiff the ball is more prone to loosen up.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Another Question

Zotter said:
Anyone got a spare retention wire? May not be 'needed', but I'd like the 'piece of mind'.
When I took mine apart I could not get the wire out without holding the ball and socket tightly together so the retainer could slide out. On assembly the joint would barely stay together. I had to clamp it in order to put the retainer in. No way the assembly would stay together long enough to shift, let alone assemble, without the retainer in. Is there something I need to look at here? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I took mine all apart I only used a very small set of needle nose pliers and a rubber padded socket drive handle as a wedge.

There're two wire retention pieces to these ball joints. An external and an internal. You may not even notice the internal - but I'm wondering if folks are getting the two confused here.

The external has a straight part the goes INTO the socket part of the ball/socket joint. It wraps around the shaft and clips into the groove that's at the margin of the socket - were it transistions into the straight. To remove, you rotate that away from the shaft and pull it out (pulling parallel to the threaded rod) of the socket and then the socket can be pulled off the ball.

The internal is a 'spring ring' inside the socket. Going about %85 of the way around the internal circumference of the socket. The ball pushes past this when it's all assembled or disassembled. Think of a 'snap', like on your jeans.

On mine, that internal ring is all that's holding the upper tranny linkage ball in place - but then apparently that's all that's been holding it since I got it.

On disassembly I did use the rubber padded handle of my socket set to push the sockets off the balls of the tranny linkage - after removing the external retainers. But that was only because I couldn't get a grip on it. The ones I could reach I simply pulled off bare handed.

Re-assembly was all bare-handed. Squeezed 'em on, inserted the retention clips and rotated them into the circular part around the shaft - holding it in position. I'd think you shouldn't have to exert any more force than a strong hand shake to press the sockets on to the balls. Presses, vice-grips, etc are an indicator that something isn't right.

When I get this one clip from Grif, I'll tear it all down again and get picys. In the mean time - here's a draw up:

and yea - if I've made a bad assumption - no probs. Wouldn't be my first :thumb:

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I'm thinkin' what you're thinkin' Tate. Sounds like he's missing the retainer inside the cup. The only way to get one of those is to order a replacement set of rods.

·
Registered
493 Posts
No Confusion ...

Zotter said:
There're two wire retention pieces to these ball joints. An external and an internal. You may not even notice the internal - but I'm wondering if folks are getting the two confused here.
Wow, great illustration and explanation. I'm familiar with both clips. I'll tear it apart again as I'm thinking of removing my peg lowering kit and readjusting the linkage again. I have to apply pressure to the joint in order to remove the pin (let's call the external clip a pin) and I did not play with the internal clip, but I did see that it was there. I'll look again and confirm what I think I'm seeing. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya know Dan - I can imagine a situation where that internal clip gets knocked out of it's groove. If it got back into the socket - between the socket and the ball - well yea. That'd sure put some 'extrea' pressure on the pin (good call on the word choice!) as well as make it a real PIA to get the ball far enough into the socket to get the pin in.

Good luck with it - whatever ya find. ;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Zotter said:
Being slightly boored and remembering I'd not done the ball-socket lube on my shift linkage at the 12K service, I decided this afternoon to simply dive in. I've been hesitant, as I'd read several had problems with the 'ball socket wires'. Only problem I've got is one of the wires was missing.

I pulled both rods, the pivot and the shift lever itself. Cleaed all bearing surfaces, lubed with some mobil sythetic general purpose grease, re-assembled and took 'er for a test drive. I even pulled and lubed the pillion pegs. Total time, 47 minutes.

I did find the 2 balls screwed into the pivot were only 'finger tight'. Simply snugged 'em up again.

WOW!! what a diff!! I can only encourage anyone who has been hesitant to do this to "git 'er done!". MUCH smoother, easy and simple to do. I'd guess I was setting myself up for a broken linkage and didn't even know it.

"Anyone got a spare retention wire?" Dropped it, huh? Don't feel bad, you aren't the first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts