BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The adjustable link to the aluminum shifter just stripped out and left me stranded 160 miles from home. Has this been a problem with others? I noticed it is very difficult to attempt any repairs in the field.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Bummer.
What year is your LT?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'm just gonna jump on my soap box here AGAIN, and say that the linkage is something a guy should know how to repair, period. I did mine in a motel parking lot in Baker City, and figured out right then that had I known how it worked, it would have been an easy fix. I had the pleasure of removing all of David's at the Redmond Rally and got it all lubed up, in the grass, in less than a half an hour. It's easy to do, if you know how. If you're not going to maintain your shift linkage, you'd better learn how to repair on the road.

Frank.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
You can manually put it in third by reaching up with your hand to the trans shift lever & ride home in third gear.

·
Registered
260 Posts
saddleman said:
You can manually put it in third by reaching up with your hand to the trans shift lever & ride home in third gear.
Heh... that's exactly what I did when mine broke 45 miles from home, With a little finesse at the lights you can start without destroying the clutch and still kick in a good median speed. 45mph was the best speed because of the heat buildup, but I got home and can now take thing apart in minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts