BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don’t freak out- while this is about oil, it isn’t an oil thread. Ha ha.
IF you are someone who runs this oil in your bike, read on...

Just purchased the 2.5 gallon container of Shell Rotella T6 oil for $49.99 and there is an online rebate of $17.50. (That means I’m netting about $3.25 per quart.)

You can go to Rotella.com/rebate and plug in your Zip Code to see if there is a participating store near you. It looks like Tractor Supply is an option.

Reactions: nhonnguyen61

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
I hope that you realize that the Rotella doesn't meet BMW spec. any more! Look at the label.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't see the API SL rating on the label.

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
The owners manual calls for: The owners manual oil specification call for SAE 5W-40, API SL/JASO MA2,

Below is the specs from Shell Rotella 5w-40. Just curious, how is it not meeting the specs?
I don't see the API SL rating on the label.
As I said, read the label!

It seems that Shell had removed the gasoline engine related specification from their T6 label as well as what they claim, on their web site, as the specification for the T6, about a year ago. Did they also change the formulation? Don't know, but I won't risk using the oil for my regular oil change even if it happen to be the one that I usually use!

·
Registered
944 Posts
I was unaware of the change PadG, thanks for posting this. I have confidently used it for many years based on always reading that it met all specs. Looks like a change is in store for me.

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
I had thought that pretty much everybody knew about the T6 change! I did my 24k service a few months ago, and changed over to LiquiMoly instead of my usual T6.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Doesn't Shell make BMW's oil now?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
471 Posts
Shell Rotella T-6 5-40 has always been Jaso approved. BUT...it was not on the container. Call the tech line at Shell and they would tell you it was approved. There was even a copy of a data sheet made after the initial one that came out clearly showing Jaso ratings.

That has never really been in question. The later version DOES have JASO MA2 on the containers.

The BIG change, and one when you call the Shell tech line they confirm, is that they no longer have an API gasoline engine rating. EXACTLY what changed I don't know. The only thing those that were concerned about Jaso would really effect is the wet clutch. Which clearly the T-6 worked just fine with. Now, with no API rating, you would be up the creek should you have an engine/transmission warranty claim and were running a non API rated oil. Simple as that.

Otherwise the truth is that this may be the same oil and Shell is just marketing things differently. I switched to Liqui-Moly and won't go back to Shell.

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
That is exactly what I also think, Terry! I don't think that the formulation has changed, but is it worth the risk? Incidentally, I think that it's a little ironic that Shell kept the JASO rating on the label (even if that's via "self-certification" over being properly certified by JASO), because (going from memory here) if you look at the full specification for JASO MA2, you should see that the oil is also required to meet certain API spec!

Ponch - I know where you are going with that one, and it's what I had in the back of my mind all along! BMW changed from Castrol to Shell in 2014. The wethead manual for the '14 RT promotes Castrol products, but in my '15 RT (manufactured and delivered in Nov. 2014) had changed to Shell. Now, take a look at the available oil out there that meets BMW spec. for our wethead, and you will find very few, with most of them being fairly expensive, EXCEPT for the T6! So, how does Shell eliminate the conflict in favor of the more expensive Advantec (only available here in the US under BMW badge)?

Personally, if I had bought T6 oil, or have some on hand, or for some reasons needs oil while on the road, I would not hesitate to use it. I had brought the subject up just to make sure that you guys know all of the facts and decide accordingly!

·
Registered
422 Posts
That is exactly what I also think, Terry! I don't think that the formulation has changed, but is it worth the risk? Incidentally, I think that it's a little ironic that Shell kept the JASO rating on the label (even if that's via "self-certification" over being properly certified by JASO), because (going from memory here) if you look at the full specification for JASO MA2, you should see that the oil is also required to meet certain API spec!

Ponch - I know where you are going with that one, and it's what I had in the back of my mind all along! BMW changed from Castrol to Shell in 2014. The wethead manual for the '14 RT promotes Castrol products, but in my '15 RT (manufactured and delivered in Nov. 2014) had changed to Shell. Now, take a look at the available oil out there that meets BMW spec. for our wethead, and you will find very few, with most of them being fairly expensive, EXCEPT for the T6! So, how does Shell eliminate the conflict in favor of the more expensive Advantec (only available here in the US under BMW badge)?

Personally, if I had bought T6 oil, or have some on hand, or for some reasons needs oil while on the road, I would not hesitate to use it. I had brought the subject up just to make sure that you guys know all of the facts and decide accordingly!
You are correct, Jaso MA2 must meet passenger car oil specs, API, ILSAC or ACEA. I wouldn't be surprised if it was API SN. The oil formulation may have changed or not. We don't know.
The reason I think they don't use the SAE API SL (or SN being the current rating) is that there is a licensing cost to use the logo. Since they don't market that product for passenger vehicles, why would they pay for that?

ps To the OP, TwoWheels, you know we can't resist an oil thread! :D

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
453 Posts
One of the things I find ironic is at one point BMW, or it's engineers, stated the switch to the new oil was because they no longer want molybdenum in their oils. Claims it can harm the coatings of the engine.

But in Blackstone testing of the "new" Shell oil, what was found in it? Yep, molybdenum. And I'm not talking trace amounts either. Amounts similar to the earlier Shell T6 with API ratings on it. Even better, testing of the Liquid Moly does NOT have molybdenum in there. So by BMW standards, Liquid Moly is an even better oil than it's own BMW branded.

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
92merc - you must be referring to the discussion in the other forum! Interesting data posted there. The BMW oil, in actual analysis, has the highest level of molybdenum than all of the others by a very long shot! LiquiMoly, OTOH, has what I would consider to be minute trace amount. Don't recall the number for the T6, but that was fairly low also, and definitely much lower than the BMW branded oil.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It seems as though everyone is talking about oil we cannot use, or can no longer use. What CAN we use? Isn't there a Castro oil that is safe AND readily available?

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
OTOH, if what you mean by readily available is the ability to walk into any store and buy some, then there are none but the T6! So, as I said, if you are on the road and have immediate needs of oil for your wethead RT (one guy in the other forum had managed to knock a hole in his valve cover and lost a lot of oil, and fell into this category), then you will be totally out of luck, but I would use the T6 without hesitations.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is what many have switched to, and what I've been using for about 3 years now.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/lqm5w404l.html

I'm getting pretty much everything from BeemerBoneyard now. Except for tires...
My dealer says they use BMW Advantec, but I would prefer a synthetic, if possible.

I find the shipping from BeemerBoneyard to be excessive... Amazon has the same 4 litre container for $49 w/free ship, if you are a Prime member, plus 5% back if using the Chase Amazon card. For me, I think this is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
Of course, you should look for the best price when shopping! :)

BTW, most people don't know, or forgot that there is a 10% discount at beemerboneyard when you use the code BMWST or BMWMOA.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts