BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and I didn't even know it. Over the last week I developed a rattle that sounded like it was around the steering head somewhere in the tupperware. I pounded and looked, poked, prodded etc. but no joy.

Well, I went to fill her up today and got the dreaded whoosh from the gas cap. Thanks to everyone's past experiences on here I new immediately where the problem was. About ten seconds later I had cleared the end of the tube and NO MORE RATTLE!

I suppose the tank sides were sucking in just enough to let something rattle around. This also explains the slight idle surge the last two days.

Damn, she's just like the wife. She talks to me all the time but sometimes I don't hear what I should. I think it's time for a ride. :)

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Good catch! I probably would have never made the connection between a rattle and a vent issue.
Was the tube the overboard from the cannister, or have you already removed the cannister?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clog was in the very end of the tube under the right side bag. I still have my cannister system intact. My plan is to reroute the tube and put a small inline filter on it, venting it near the battery where it won't be subject to road spray, etc. I'm not a believer in removing the cannister as that allows unfiltered air into the fuel tank. I don't know for a fact that would cause an issue, but logically here in Kansas where the dust blows more often than not, better safe than sorry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts