BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I finally felt confident enough to take my wife for a ride on my, new to me, LT. As I had posted previously, one of the reasons for moving to the LT was hopes that she would ride with me. I spent a lot of time getting comfortable with the BEAST (for lack of a better term), so we finally gave it a go. And go we went. At 20 miles I asked her how she was doing and she said KEEP GOING. We ended up doing about 50 miles and she really likes it.

I was feeling a bit tense at stops and slow turns due to the extra weight. I haven't ridden 2 up for about 30 years. Any way, all is well and we will do some more short trips soon. We are both over weight and old and the getting on an off the bike isn't as smooth as it used to be, but we are very happy with being able to ride together. :dance:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hi,

I always deploy the side stand when my better half is getting on an off the bike. I don't use it, but it's there as additional support in the unlikely event of the bike leaning just a tad too far over.

Always gets on and off from the left side. Might be something you would like to do, just adds that extra level of confidence.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I find letting her off first while you are standing balancing the bike, then she can use your shoulder and the top box for balance while stepping between and off.I have the engine off, and the side stand down, you know just in case ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I installed floorboards for my wife, and I think they might help a little with her getting on and off, more footing.
Perhaps you should put the bike on the center stand and have her practice getting on and off. My wife gets on the left side also, puts her left foot on the board, then swings over. There's probably other ways, and maybe your wife can find a way that suits her best.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Axle said:
I find letting her off first while you are standing balancing the bike, then she can use your shoulder and the top box for balance while stepping between and off.I have the engine off, and the side stand down, you know just in case ;) ;)
Nearly the same sequence we use. When the engine goes off, it's her cue that she can get off if I haven't already told her.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You wont find a better bike than the LT for going down the highway 2 up. Plenty of power, great feel and comfortable for her. Like you say at slow speeds it can be tricky but with attention to detail you will be fine. Have fun.

Dave

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Yup, the first time she sat on the LT her hands naturally went to the luggage handles
and she felt more secure than she ever did on the K1100LT, she's been "lovin" it ever since.

If you haven't already done so,
you might consider moving the top box back,
to give both of y'all a little more space.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Glad you both are on board...

Traveling 2-up is a mind set... it has to be a way of life.

The LT is a big sleepy beotch at low speed. But everyone has to follow the rules and the rules are;

1. At low speed you limit your movement from the back seat. You move around and we go down, it's that simple.
2. At low speed, you stop the chatter, I am concentrating.
3. At low speed you either become a rock on the seat or we are all over the asphalt. Once she understands this, your life is made that much easier.
4. At any speed, warn me if you want to reach out and "grab the brass ring". I have had my SO make us change lanes when she hangs off the side of the LT abruptly trying to take pictures.
5. If something doesn't feel right, say something.

One more thing that can make the whole experience that much better? Get out in a parking lot and practice. Practice doing slow speed 2-up. Practice coming to a stop 2-up. Practice a panic stop 2-up. Practice the u-turn or tuns in a box 2-up. But you have to practice, as a team, together.

Oh, and +1 on the floorboards...

There is nothing like cranking down the highway or carving up twisties on the LT 2-up...

Glad the missus likes the LT... Keep on keepin' on... and be safe... :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the tips and input, it is always a help to hear from others on their experiences etc.

Getting on and off issue. We probably do this incorrectly, but it is the only way it seems to work. I put the bike on the side stand and Gretchen gets on the rider seat, then she slides up onto the passenger seat. Then I get aboard and off we go. Dismounting, I get off first. Gretchen's knee problems don't allow her to swing her leg up and over.

I hope the center stand can handle the weight being put on it over a period of time.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Same here Boatzo. Vonda has had 2 knee replacement surgeries, and while they have worked wonders, she still doesn't have the flexibility that she used to have. Mounting onto the rider's seat first (since it is lower), then pushing herself back onto the passenger seat seems to work well for her without having to do a high "leg kick" with stiff knees.
Another comment on passengers: They can save your butt by leaning in the opposite direction if you ever start to go over at a stop, i.e. slope, loose gravel, etc. DAMHIK

·
Registered
329 Posts
Boatzo said:
Thanks for all the tips and input, it is always a help to hear from others on their experiences etc.

Getting on and off issue. We probably do this incorrectly, but it is the only way it seems to work. I put the bike on the side stand and Gretchen gets on the rider seat, then she slides up onto the passenger seat. Then I get aboard and off we go. Dismounting, I get off first. Gretchen's knee problems don't allow her to swing her leg up and over.

I hope the center stand can handle the weight being put on it over a period of time.
Do you put bike on the side stand or the center stand? My wife and I share many of the issues mentioned here and she has some knee problems. If you both mount while the bike is on the center stand, what method do you use to get off the center stand? I've seen some rock the bike off the center stand and I've seen others ride it off. I don't know if either is good or bad. If she mounts when the bike is on the side stand it is a bit difficult for me to stand it up when I get on and I worry that the sidestand might fail. If I get on first, stand the bike up and then allow her to mount, it is very difficult for her due to knees. I don't know; we're still experimenting.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
This is a mini thread jack. Many of you may know that the reason I have the Hannigan sidecar is because my wife does not like to "tip". Boat, plane, banked curve in a car, motorcycle, it doesn't matter. NO TIPPING!!!

Well she's trying really hard and doing a great job.

We rode 289 miles yesterday from Vancouver, WA to several locations on the Oregon coast with return.

Was only admonished two times for going too fast in the corners as I had forgotten to keep it slow (posted speed + a little). A really huge and appreciated increase in "tip tolerance".

It was kind of funny (we actually both snickered a little) but when we got home her only complaints were: headache, sore butt, sore feet, her knees hurt and her hips were killing her. Maybe I could mount a sedan chair back there and hire a masseuse to keep down the aches and pains.............

All in all a great ride. Great weather, great ride, fear under much better control, and a great dinner!

Pretty sure she'll go again, likely for a shorter ride, but hey! Made progress. Thankful.

Loren

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Arby60 said:
Do you put bike on the side stand or the center stand? My wife and I share many of the issues mentioned here and she has some knee problems. If you both mount while the bike is on the center stand, what method do you use to get off the center stand? I've seen some rock the bike off the center stand and I've seen others ride it off. I don't know if either is good or bad. If she mounts when the bike is on the side stand it is a bit difficult for me to stand it up when I get on and I worry that the sidestand might fail. If I get on first, stand the bike up and then allow her to mount, it is very difficult for her due to knees. I don't know; we're still experimenting.
I mis-typed Arby, I meant to type SIDE STAND. We do not use the center stand for mounting / dis-mounting.

My big worry is how to get off in a hurry in an emergency !! I guess it just aint gonna happen and we go down with the ship.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wa1200lt said:
This is a mini thread jack. Many of you may know that the reason I have the Hannigan sidecar is because my wife does not like to "tip". Boat, plane, banked curve in a car, motorcycle, it doesn't matter. NO TIPPING!!!

We rode 289 miles yesterday from Vancouver, WA to several locations on the Oregon coast with return.

Was only admonished two times for going too fast in the corners as I had forgotten to keep it slow (posted speed + a little). A really huge and appreciated increase in "tip tolerance".

It was kind of funny (we actually both snickered a little) but when we got home her only complaints were: headache, sore butt, sore feet, her knees hurt and her hips were killing her. Maybe I could mount a sedan chair back there and hire a masseuse to keep down the aches and pains.............

All in all a great ride. Great weather, great ride, fear under much better control, and a great dinner!

Pretty sure she'll go again, likely for a shorter ride, but hey! Made progress. Thankful.

Loren
Loren, I thought about the side car route and still have it in the back of my mind. Glad you had a nice trip. BTW how does you wife feel about tipping at the resturant? :histerica

I was in a bike shop not long ago and was talking to the owner about side cars and he was giving me the benefit of his experience. He asked why I wanted a side car and I said" so that my wife will ride with me" Another customer listening in said "why in the hell would you want to do that". Well, to each his own, personally I like having the old girl with me as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
We almost always use the hydraulic center stand on the 05 and I dismount first and unhook the Baehr cable from Kathy's helmet to the bike, then she dismounts, dragging her right leg over the Bakup baskrest. She mounts first so I can hook her up again, and then it is my turn.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
wa1200lt said:

Loren

Oh paleezzeeeeeee! The guy admittedly can't walk down 3 steps holding a tiny box without an accompaning airbag system to save his sorry butt from head injury, and now puts this sidecar thing on his wife!!!!
WHAT--------EVER!!!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
My Gawd this is a tough room! It was truly a great ride with overcast skies (no sun in eyes), really wispy occasional patches of light fog at the beach, and temp in the mid 60's down to low 50's coming back in the dark over the coast range. Very nice!

Tipping at the restaurant? Oh yeah, no problem doing that! We ate at the little (former) dumpy restaurant at Netarts Bay called The Schooner. Used to be an absolute dive with awesome oyster burgers. It has since turned into a VERY nice little restaurant with very high quality food. Wood fired pizza, fresh seafood etc. I had a grilled Game Hen stuffed with chorizo (homemade chorizo, rice, and seasonings). One of the best meals I've ever had. Homemade bleu cheese dressing was the best I've ever had. Next time the General Tso's wings. Saw an order of them and they are a definite next choice!

Anybody up for a ride to the coast next weekend? I'm ready to go back.

FYI, Netarts Bay is just outside of Tillamook.

Loren

fpmlt said:
Oh paleezzeeeeeee! The guy admittedly can't walk down 3 steps holding a tiny box without an accompaning airbag system to save his sorry butt from head injury, and now puts this sidecar thing on his wife!!!!
WHAT--------EVER!!!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
The best "rule" I ever gave my wife when riding is that she MUST look over my shoulder on the INSIDE of the turn. Never the outside. Especially when first learning to ride with you, it is common for a passenger to want to lean away from the turn, meaning you have to lean the bike even further into the turn. They can lean so far that you may not make a tight turn when you really need to!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
fpmlt said:
WHAT--------EVER!!!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts