BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
A month ago my wife said I want to go ride sometime with you! So I put the top box back on, since then everytime I suggest we go for a ride something happens to make it a no go. Since I put the box back on the LT it just felt fat and heavy, but when i took it off and put the FT. Worth rack back on, wow what a difference.. she like to move again. I think I am going to figure out a way to put another Backup on the rack for her comfort, I just don't like the feel of that box now. If you have never taken your top box off, do it and see the difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Took It All Off

Friend of mine give me a short sporty windshield for the LT. I took the topcase off in 20 minutes the first time. Hereafter I should be able to do it in 10. There was an amazing difference in the way the bike handled. I am not a daredevil but it was much easier to get the bike over in the curves and felt a lot smoother/safer. Now if I could just convince MY wife to get her own bike! I looked at the 650 and really wanted it but I knew the first long trip we took (assuming I could get her to ride the 650) she would be two up behind me on the second day! We are headed for CCR in a couple of weeks so I have refitted the bike for two up. It's too hot to ride for fun right now so I went ahead and got ready for the trip. When I get back I will try to post some pictures. The bike looks really cool with the windshield and the Ft. Worth rack.

·
Registered
339 Posts
To each his own I guess. Those Ft Worth racks look pretty neat, but I'd never take the top box off my bike as I use it everytime I ride it. I just think it takes away the looks of the bike, but that's just MHO.

One of the big reasons I bought my LT was the storage, and the SO loves the back seat ! ( that's HER lazyboy)

:bmw:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
That top box is a work of art and it is very well built. I have the Harley rack on mine so it empty weighs almost forty lbs. When you compare it to the Harley and GW box it is a step above. I love the fact that they come off so easy and it gives us the ability to enjoy the bike both ways. I think the LT's lines with the FT. Worth rack on the back is beautiful.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Agreed...3 Bikes in One!

grifscoots said:
Just one of the many thangs I like about the GT. In about 5 seconds the top box comes off. Both side cases come off just as easily. It's like having 3 bikes in one with very little hassle.
Yep! On my ride around the country, there were days when I had it fully-dressed complete with topbox, seatbag, and saddlebags. When touring a certain area for a day, I'd remove the topbox and seatbag and just around with the saddlebags. For even shorter rides through some serious twisties, I'd remove everything and ride my K1200GT-SBE (SportBike Edition :p ).

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
I love mine with the top off..

I really do use the storage and find that it overcomes my preference in the way it handles, but it seems to ride so much better topless. Wouldn't think that 35 pounds would make it handle differently, but it sure feels that way. First time I took it off, I felt like I was cheating on the Big Fat Pig.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Put it back on!

·
Registered
284 Posts
topless

too mine off about a year ago
so far every time ive thought id have to put it back for a trip or something ive figured out how to get everything in the side bags...

im sure ill put it back for some trips with my wife this fall but the bike is alot easier to handle to me with it off....

luckily it only takes about 15 minutes max to put it on or take it off

if you havent tried it off.....u should!

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
I prefer the look with the top on

I've had mine off a few times and I really do like the way it handles without the top, but it just seems to look better and complete with the top on. Just cant see how the removal of 35 pounds can make such a difference. Must have something to do with the height of the weight. I can take off the top, add a 120 pound passenger and it still handles better!

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I bought a Ft Worth rack and put it on this summer. I do like the way the bike handles and the way it looks. I do miss the extra storage space, so I probably won't keep it off all the time. As far as a passenger back rest goes, I knew my wife would not ride on the bike without a back rest, and I didn't want to pay $350 + for a bakup back rest, so I purchased a back rest from best rest products (www.bestrestproducts.com) for about half that much, and mounted it on the Ft Worth rack. It does take up some room on the rack, but it works for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts