BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always approached motorcycle riding with the position that sooner or later I'll run across an idiot and I need to be prepared for that. However yesterday I was treated to a whole new level of stupidity. As I was traveling westbound on a two lane road which had a center turn lane I activated my right turn signal and shortly after began braking for a right turn into the parking lot on my right hand side. It's important to note that there is no curb between the parking lot and roadway at that location. The driver behind me felt that this was some type of signal from me to pass me on my right hand side. I first saw him in my right mirror and instinctively turned my head slightly to the right to see him pulling along side at about a 45 degree angle to my cycle. Fortunately he seemed to realize that what he was doing might be unusual and decided to pass on my left side instead, utilizing the left turn lane for that purpose. Wow. That was a close one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
every cager is a moron and out to kill you. once you understand and accept this, you'll be better off (mentally) ;)

I've got plenty of similar stories, last Friday was a busy day here, a couple different attempts on my life were made within a 1/2 mile stretch (tunnel vision lane changes)

·
Registered
230 Posts
As I entered my subdivision the other day, I was attempting to turn left less than 100 ft on the first street. I ck'd my mirror to see a guy in a large Mercedes passing me on the left. He had followed me in on my rear tire and felt the need to pass me on a 2 lane residential street before I reached the first cross street less than 100 ft into the subdivision. I dove to the right with my left blinker still on. As he passed by he just looked at me w/ a (what are you looking at?) look. I couldn't believe it. He nearly wiped me out. He wouldn't have had a leg to stand on legally. Unfortunately he is some sort of a colleague in the Medical profession and should know better.
His attitude seemed to be one of (You guy's on motorcycles need to get out of my way!)
Ridiculous!

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Glad to hear these were close calls not accident reports. Remember they may not have a legal leg to stand on, but we wouldn't have a leg, period. Invisibility is a huge responsibility, but we are up to the challenge! ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
today was a flash back from Friday except the cars were more plentiful and one even got pretty dang close, I coulda slapped him! he did get a split second ear full of expletives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts