BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader and first time writer! I got my 05 LT about 2 years ago with 25k miles on it ( love the bike!!!) and put about 10k miles on it since. Had it in the shop when I bought it first for a full service and inspection. Didn't have any issues for the last 2 years! Now the season is about to start up again and I'm thinking to bring it back for a check up. What do you guys think? Keep in mind I do my own oil change and tires. Is it worth it and what do they do? Thanks in advance! Karl in cincy

·
Registered
242 Posts
If the 25K service was done and you have done the oil changes and tires, I would not think it is needed again for another 15K, at 50,000. However, if it helps you to know that it has been looked over by a pro and you can afford it, it will not hurt.
Personally I would look it over myself, just check everything you can and ride happy. However, I do ALL my own maintenance and never let anyone else touch it. I have been a mechanic for almost 30 years and I am very cheap. Only you know your skills, budget and what will give you peace of mind.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
If it has been two years you are ready for a brake flush. If the valves were OK and none of the exhausts were close to the limit on the last service you should be good and can wait. Don't know if I would wait all the way to 50 K before getting another check. My first set of adjustments happened at my 48 K service and I had to do 4 valves, one valve at the 62 K and one valve at the 76 K.

By the way a regular 12 K usually involves all filters and oils (fuel filter at 24K intervals), valve check and spark plugs. Also a general inspection of everything. Brake flush and valve adjustment are billed out separately.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sorry, I forgot about the 12K services, was a busy day and I typed without clearly thinking. Should have looked at the manual first.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had to replace two intake buckets as valves were below min clearance. Bike mileage 20K glad I took the time to check. JMTCW

·
Registered
399 Posts
Keep in mind I do my own oil change and tires. Is it worth it and what do they do? Thanks in advance! Karl in cincy
Karl - What shop are you using? If you don't mind wrenching in my view it is better, cheaper and to me more enjoyable to do your own inspections / maintenance. You get to learn your bike and know it was done right. I live across the river from you and currently have the Tupperware off for winter maintenance / fluid changes, O2 sensor and brake lines replacement. This Saturday I plan to check the valve clearance for the 1st time (17k miles). If you want to look over my shoulder as I fumble through it you are welcome to stop by.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Karl .I'm in a suburb in Cleveland. If you need help let me know. Drop me a PM line

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
+1 on the brake fluid complete control and wheel circuit flush.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Jim, thank you so much. I'll stop by for sure, can't do it this weekend ( work). I'll contact you. The shop I bring it to is in Blue Ash - Cadre cycle! Super nice guys. Talk to you very soon, thanks again Karl

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Do you have a garage or shop at home you can work on the bike in? Warren isn't to far for me. I could stop in and give some guidance for some things. Let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts