BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to attempt to do most of the fluid changes myself. I see no need to spend $1200.00 for a 12K service at the BMR store. I am a former ASE certified Master Auto tech, but that was almost 20 years ago. White collar now :)

I am looking for a service manual for my 2005 LT. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hi Tony,

Great looking Bike, you chose the "Fastest Color" ;)

I also have an 05. I bought a CD and really never use it. There is a document that will get you started:

2005 Oil Chage

I never use the CD. There is more (better) information on this site.

Joe

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
tonygret said:
I am going to attempt to do most of the fluid changes myself. I see no need to spend $1200.00 for a 12K service at the BMR store. I am a former ASE certified Master Auto tech, but that was almost 20 years ago. White collar now :)

I am looking for a service manual for my 2005 LT. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Lotsa folks are mostly happy with the Clymer manual. I think they get 'em at Amazon dot com, IIRC. If you go OEM, you'll need to buy the electrical schematic separately from the shop manual, butt I think the Clymer comes with both. Relatively inexpensive, for what you get in the way of 'how-to'. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I have the videos(Paul Sayah) and the Clymer manual. They will pay for themselves many times over.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
tonygret said:

Try this I find it very handy.
http://www.repairmanual.com/motorcycles/2005/11/0/18874

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
bblalock said:
I have the videos(Paul Sayah) and the Clymer manual. They will pay for themselves many times over.
I couldn't find anything about the Paul Sayah videos on google. Where did you find those? Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
tonygret said:
I couldn't find anything about the Paul Sayah videos on google. Where did you find those? Thanks!
I did a quick 'search' and found this. These are great videos - oughta come with a bike!! :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I bought a Clymer manual and also have the OEM manual. I use both.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Does the Clymer manual have relatively well written instructions for Hydraulic fluid changes on the 05? I just paid $300 for the full flush. I am not doing that again if I can help it.....

·
Registered
712 Posts
I can't say off hand, as I'd need to go look at it, but the instructions on the forum for brakes, clutch, and centerstand are all I'll need to do that job if I need to in the future.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If that is the same as the other pdf manuals floating around out there it is for the pre 05 bikes. You can still use it for many things, but be aware of the differences (if that applies to you).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hope to pick up my 06 LT next week and was wondering if there is any difference in the oil change procedure from the 05 models to the 06.
The link with pictures is great and I would think that the 06 is the same as the 05 model. Have always done my own oil changes on my 89 Venture Royalle, but I don't own a torque wrench. I may have to acquire one if I want to change the oil on the beemer. How many shops actually use a torque wrench? Probably a good idea though
Thanks for the great tips and advice offered here.
Jim
:toast: :toast: :toast:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Clymer and it's accurate for my '05. I also have the BMW CD and would not waste the $100 plus on it again. For the transmission plug you need a 14mm hex. I bought a set of three incl. the 14mm for $9.99 at Autozone. They sell a bigger set at Harbor Freight for $14.99 but not sure you really need all those other sizes. I just started doing my own maint. and underneath all the plastic it's not all that different. Dive in and save BIG BUCKS. Best of luck.

'05 LT Goldfinger

·
Registered
269 Posts
The combination of the Clymer Manual and the Paul Sayegh DVD works very well for me. I am owned by an '05 LT.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts