BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post has been languishing for a few months because it is negative and I really hate to go public with negativity. The reason that I post this now is because the Iron Butt Rally is starting in Spartanburg, SC and Touring Sport is the nearest BMW dealer and I feel that sharing my experience may help others make an informed decision on whether or not to use this dealership for service.

I had a breakdown on the Cape Fear 1000 rally and, based on the high recommendations of others, chose to have my bike towed to Touring Sport over a closer dealership. My bike has quite a bit of long distance customization and I know that it costs extra to deal with non-stock motorcycles. I fully expected to pay time and material for the repairs. The failed ignition switch is deep inside the tupperware on a K1200LT so the $500 labor charge, while not pleasant, was not surprising.

What was surprising was that the job was not done properly. While I expect that my customization will cost extra, I also expect that my bike will be returned to me in the proper condition. I had to ride the bike home and then completely tear it down to reconnect my communications system properly, essentially replicating 90% of the labor for which I had just paid. In the process of reproducing this work I found other examples of poor workmanship, stripped and missing screws, improperly routed wiring, and missing spot ties.

I brought all of this to the attention of the management at Touring Sport with little satisfaction. Their position was that they had to charge flat labor on non-stock work and that the charges were normal. They never did seem to understand that I was not objecting to charges for work that was properly performed but was objecting to paying the full freight on improper work.

Bottom line is that I felt they fully understood that I was a "one time" customer who they would never see again.

My apologies for cross posting this to my blog, the BMW Luxury Touring Community, the Iron Butt Association forum, the LDRider forum, and the IBR private forum, I normally try to be a good netcitizen but in this case I am following through with a promise to Touring Sport that, should we not be able to resolve the issue, I would make this post.

If anyone wants to see the entire email exchange please let me know and I will post them on my web page.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have friends in that neighborhood and they all have negative things to say as well.

It is unfortunate that quality workmanship is so rare these days.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.
Sorry that you had such a negative experience
and that you weren't able to resolve it.
I've been very fortunate with the service and support
that I've received at Capitol BMW in Raleigh.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LT_Pilot said:
Thanks for the heads up.
Sorry that you had such a negative experience
and that you weren't able to resolve it.
I've been very fortunate with the service and support
that I've received at Capitol BMW in Raleigh.
DITTOS!!!

Capitol BMW is where I get my service. They sometimes don't get it right but they always listen to my whining with a sympathetic ear ;-)

Jon Ross has gone out of his way several times to make things right with me. Scott, their senior tech is extremely competent.

Plus they are proud to be servicing an IBR bike and according to them is "the highest mileage LT they have in their customer base".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts