BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Got it today and just as I feared it only covers what eplerd posted above.
BMW Part# 01591540216

Now back to Corporate to see if there is an update coming for 0L03 at some point.

Keep us posted - I was told BMW will not be offering Service DVD's for ANY bikes to the public.
Thinking is perhaps they are transitioning to an ONLINE web-based service (that's a guess)....

I'm ok with a subscription based web site where I can register for service info for each of my bikes by VIN if reasonably priced.
Hell, if they made it like $30 / year per model I think most people would go for it. Perhaps even offer short-term subscriptions like a 1 month pass...

Thoughts????

·
Registered
148 Posts
Talked to a rep today and told him this is still not a manual for 21 RT. Gave him the VIN code I am looking for it to cover. I just asked him to please get a straight answer about what is the plan for US owners and this kind of information. Will this DVD update in the future to include my bike as other DVDs have done in the past. Tired of all the run around and BS from dealers to Germany.

Reactions: SvFiat

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rep called again today and confirmed no updates to DVD for 21 RT and no Maint. DVDs available period. He had no clue as to BMW's plans for Maint information for buyers. I asked who could I escalate this to and he said no one as it is logged with BMW USA now. I asked if he could please find out something as this is illegal in the US as he should already know. Hopefully my State AG's office will have more luck.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Rep called again today and confirmed no updates to DVD for 21 RT and no Maint. DVDs available period. He had no clue as to BMW's plans for Maint information for buyers. I asked who could I escalate this to and he said no one as it is logged with BMW USA now. I asked if he could please find out something as this is illegal in the US as he should already know. Hopefully my State AG's office will have more luck.
You keep saying it is illegal and I'm totally lost as to what law they are violating??

I've never seen a law that states a manufacturer is legally obligated to publish service manuals for a vehicle or piece of electronic equipment.

I looked at Magnuson Moss Warranty Act "Tie in Sales" provision and it seems to say that you cannot be required to purchasesomething from the original mfg in order to keep your warranty in effect.
For example, Hewlett Packard cannot require you to use HP Ink cartridges to keep a printer under warranty.
Nor can BMW require you to use BMW oil to keep warranty valid - they COULD however require an oil with a new specification that for a time frame might only be available from BMW.

I saw nothing saying they are REQUIRED TO SELL anything - it's quite the opposite in that they can't require you to buy their parts, their fluids, or their labor in the USA to keep warranty in effect.

Just curious what paragraph in particular led you to believe this

Full Text of the warranty act is here:

·
Registered
148 Posts
By not providing any information on maintaining my bike they are forcing me to do certain things or not possibly not honor a warranty claim if I don't take the bike to them for service.

The MMWA prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer's use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product. In the case of motor vehicles, new car manufacturers have ignored these conditions outlined in Magnuson-Moss and have misled consumers to believe that they must have dealer service shops install only original equipment replacement parts or fear having their new car warranty voided.

Do you own any other vehicle that you can't get service information for? The owners manual doesn't even have basic procedures in it. At this point I will just wait and see what my AG comes up with as they say they have sent an inquiry to BMW. I think BMW has something in the works for this but just like their roll out for the 2021 RT it is being poorly executed.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
By not providing any information on maintaining my bike they are forcing me to do certain things or not possibly not honor a warranty claim if I don't take the bike to them for service.

The MMWA prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer's use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product. In the case of motor vehicles, new car manufacturers have ignored these conditions outlined in Magnuson-Moss and have misled consumers to believe that they must have dealer service shops install only original equipment replacement parts or fear having their new car warranty voided.

Do you own any other vehicle that you can't get service information for? The owners manual doesn't even have basic procedures in it. At this point I will just wait and see what my AG comes up with as they say they have sent an inquiry to BMW. I think BMW has something in the works for this but just like their roll out for the 2021 RT it is being poorly executed.
Just because neither VW nor Toyota, or GM provide or make readily available the maintenance procedures they DO provide a "service schedule".
I am free to take my bike (or car, truck, etc) to any independent mechanic to have services provided and as long as I document said services they won't deny warranty.

I had a Transmission replaced under (extended) warranty and I provided receipts for oil and oil analysis to prove that I did the work required and the claim was honored.
Granted this was not BMW's warranty but the warranty company said I had more than sufficient documentation to prove the work was done.

You ARE correct in the fact that I haven't seen any other manufacturer not make service procedures available - but sometimes at exorbitant cost (I recall a toyota service manual being several hundred dollars over 20 yrs ago)....

I guess one could argue that if they don't make the procedures available then they cannot deny warranty as the procedures to perform required maintenance properly were not made available... (thinking more clearly now that I am properly caffeinated LOl)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Got a letter from my AG with BMW North America's response. They said they provided me a DVD for purchase even though it doesn't cover the 2021 model. They also stated BMW will no longer proved DVDs or updates. At this point I am tired of their shit an will just wait to see what happens next.

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
I don't get it? They were rare but I know plenty of people that received the Service DVD.

It was supply and demand, nothing more at that time a month ago. Not sure when it became "no, you cant have a Sevice DVD"?

If NA BMW is taking that position then they better be ready to have that Service DVD burnt into a ISO Image, and out on the Internet for free. I mean someone will do it to get it out there if BMW is going to be a ass about it and do this.

I am not qustioning anyone but I think this is dis information.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't get it? They were rare but I know plenty of people that received the Service DVD.

It was supply and demand, nothing more at that time a month ago. Not sure when it became "no, you cant have a Sevice DVD"?

If NA BMW is taking that position then they better be ready to have that Service DVD burnt into a ISO Image, and out on the Internet for free. I mean someone will do it to get it out there if BMW is going to be a ass about it and do this.

I am not qustioning anyone but I think this is dis information.
No more service DVDs is what I have heard from at least 5 parts managers (they can't order one) and BMW North America too. So far no one has said what the plan is for the future. The only hope right now is the ones still out there. I think they found one for me just to satisfy my State AG's inquiry.

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,069 Posts
I won't own a vehicle without a factory service manual. My wife's 2002 Thunderbird Ford service manual is 8.5 x 11" and 3" thick. If BMW won't sell a good factory service manual then I have bought my last BMW motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
3,268 Posts
No more service DVDs is what I have heard from at least 5 parts managers (they can't order one) and BMW North America too. So far no one has said what the plan is for the future. The only hope right now is the ones still out there. I think they found one for me just to satisfy my State AG's inquiry.
Again I know two people who have told me they have them and both of them are very popular contibuters to Service Videos.

MAX BMW has sold a few.

Here is a thread about them. The place suggested in the thread has gotten and sold 1250 DVD's.

DVD Service Thread

EDIT: I just checked and MAX BMW has them as NA. As I said that has changed in the last month or so.

JVB Productions Maintenance DVD has 1250 values and instructions in it from what I understand.

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
I am very glad that this '21 RT is the last bike that I will own or ride, since I am completely done with BMW! Yep, the RTs are excellent bike that fits how I ride quite perfectly, but the way that WE, the riders in the US have been treated with the '21 RT release, made me decide to banish BMW from my future. I have said this before, but last year I was considering one of BMW's X-series SUV, and would have purchased it this year, and now that's gone with the wind, as they say. This '21 RT is the very last BMW anything that I will be buying!

Reactions: 60Aviator

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
17 Posts
I smell a distribution change coming, perhaps doing all online publishing, and the people behind it likely did not understand the impact this has under US law. Having a DVD for my 2019 RT, I just see a legacy publishing system that likely was discontinued by the tool vendor that sold it to them. After some other shit I saw in their internal parts catalog, I'm going with "incompetence" as the driver here...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts