BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up with service DVD availability. I have one for my 2015 S1000R and checked that it was one of the things I could order before buying a 2021 R1250RT. But now after purchase
I’m informed that BMW has pulled that from inventory and I can’t get the service

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What’s up with service DVD availability. I have one for my 2015 S1000R and checked that it was one of the things I could order before buying a 2021 R1250RT. But now after purchase
I’m informed that BMW has pulled that from inventory and I can’t get the service
For some reason I was cut off, but now I find I can’t get the service DVD. This isn’t OK with me. Does anyone have that info or a source for getting it. I’m happy to pay a reasonable price but I don’t want a bike I can’t service myself.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Same problem here. Can't get a straight answer from BMW about why they did this. Dealers are even in the dark as I called my dealer and 4 major ones in the US. All told me the same thing that they can't even order one. One did mention something about maybe BMW was going back (like in the past) to only Service departments getting one. I have filed complaints with them, NHTSA, FTC, and my State AG's office. There is a prohibition for this in the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act under "Tie in Sales" provision. What makes this worse is that the Owner's Manual has nothing in it about basic maintenance procedures. First bike I have owned that didn't at least have info on Oil & Filter change, Air filter, plugs etc...

Reactions: Ultra54 and LAF

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
The BMW shop computer system has all the manual info now. They did the same thing for their BMW cars, they had a free on line access but it just changed to a fee based system $350 a year to subscribe to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’d actually be ok with subscription based access. Do you have a web address for it?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
Here is the link:
But I think it is only for the BMW Automobiles and the year is $2,500, 250 a month 30 a day..

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
304 Posts
So given the general impression that BMW is pulling the service manuals off the shelves, I decided that a '19-'21 1250RT manual is better for my '21 (new model) then no manual at all. I figured that some dealers may have DVDs in stock they are happy to get rid of, especially on the Continent.

Lo and behold, Baum BMW in Germany had stock and my DVD is with DHL as we speak to be delivered Down Under next Friday. The price is also very good, 88 Euros express shipped. Part number is 01591540216 and covers the K52 R models from '19 to '21, basically the shiftcam engines.

If the new '21 DVD ever surfaces, I'll get one of those too. If not, I got something that covers most of my bike.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Following

·
Registered
127 Posts
Got a call from BMW USA Corporate today. The gentleman said he had a Service DVD for the 21 RT for me and which dealer did I want him to send it to for purchase. He said they would contact me when they got it. Now to wait and see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Please let us know if that works. This is infuriating - I've had a service manual/DVD for every bike I've ever owned and very unhappy about BMW decision to not offer one.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
304 Posts
The repair DVD arrived today. Not bad from Germany all the way to Australia in 4 days. Had to activate it with the serial number enclosed, then I copied the English version to the hard drive on my laptop and had it update. All went well and works as expected. Happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The repair DVD arrived today. Not bad from Germany all the way to Australia in 4 days. Had to activate it with the serial number enclosed, then I copied the English version to the hard drive on my laptop and had it update. All went well and works as expected. Happy with the outcome.
Does it cover the model number in the VIN?

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
304 Posts
Does it cover the model number in the VIN?
No. As I stated in post #7, this is for the '19-'21 shiftcam RTs. I bought this knowingly because of the apparent removal of the repair DVDs around the world. The important parts such as engine/gearbox, shaft drive are all the same so I would rather have that than no dvd at all.

·
Registered
127 Posts
No. As I stated in post #7, this is for the '19-'21 shiftcam RTs. I bought this knowingly because of the apparent removal of the repair DVDs around the world. The important parts such as engine/gearbox, shaft drive are all the same so I would rather have that than no dvd at all.
These DVDs are updateable after you install them and they check for the latest updates. That is what I am asking since you had it updated (after update ran) and you even said it is for 2021 RTs. The 21 RT has a new type code in the VIN of 0L03 where last years in the US was 0J63. So after the update still no 21 RT support then.

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
304 Posts
These DVDs are updateable after you install them and they check for the latest updates. That is what I am asking since you had it updated (after update ran) and you even said it is for 2021 RTs. The 21 RT has a new type code in the VIN of 0L03 where last years in the US was 0J63. So after the update still no 21 RT support then.
Ah, I see what you mean now. The update did not include the new '21 bike (0L01 in my case). It still only for the 0J61 and 0J63 bikes, so the update added the new parts for those two models only.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Yeah when I ordered my 2021 I asked Bob's to order me the RepMan DVD and when I got it I was upset that it did NOT cover the 0L03 models even after several updates.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ah, I see what you mean now. The update did not include the new '21 bike (0L01 in my case). It still only for the 0J61 and 0J63 bikes, so the update added the new parts for those two models only.
Thanks Hati

So I should have the DVD by the end of the week that BMW Corporate is sending and said it covers 21 RT. I won't be surprised if it is just like eplerd above. I have learned thru all of this that the one person at BMW that actually knows what is going on has shared it with no one.

Reactions: The_real_hati

·
Registered
127 Posts
Got it today and just as I feared it only covers what eplerd posted above.
BMW Part# 01591540216

Now back to Corporate to see if there is an update coming for 0L03 at some point.

Reactions: The_real_hati
1 - 20 of 22 Posts