BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that the BMW requires service every 6000 miles. Is it a minor service at 6000 and a major service at 12000? or is it the same every 6000 miles?

Where can I get the list of what is recommended at these service points?
My goal is to service what I can myself and consult with you guys on whatever is left.

Thank you!
Hip

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
hip001 said:
I've heard that the BMW requires service every 6000 miles. Is it a minor service at 6000 and a major service at 12000? or is it the same every 6000 miles?

Where can I get the list of what is recommended at these service points?
My goal is to service what I can myself and consult with you guys on whatever is left.

Thank you!
Hip
Here is a service check list for early model LTs (prior to '04, I think).

The 6k and 12k are different in the service recommendations.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Is the clutch fluid and the brake fluid the same thing?
What do I use in the Tranny and the Rear drive?

What is the chain tensioning rail? The records I got from the owner has a 35,553 mile service. On this same check list there is a "N/A" by this.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
hip001 said:
Thank you!

Is the clutch fluid and the brake fluid the same thing?
What do I use in the Tranny and the Rear drive?

What is the chain tensioning rail? The records I got from the owner has a 35,553 mile service. On this same check list there is a "N/A" by this.
As you know, the clutch system on the KLT is a dry clutch unit; however, the clutch actuation system uses DOT 4 brake fluid - same as the brake system on the LT.

Regarding the chain tensioner, I'm gonna refer you to the HoW pages for some excellent discussion and description of that leetle bugger. Up near the top of this page, click on the "Technical" tab and then click on the "HoW" pull down line. Use the search block near the top of the page and type in "Chain Tensioner". Lotsa good info throughout, and you'll see the "searched words" show up in red.

I would encourage you to order either a Clymer maintenance manual, or the OEM shop manual, or for some of the routine servicing, consider ordering the 4-part DVD from Paul Sayegh on removing tupperware, servicing necessary parts, and tips on various maintenance procedures. Nice video shots of how Paul did/does it. Sometimes, a set will pop up here on the forums in the classified section, or you can order 'em from Paul's website.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts