BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first LT about a month ago and I’ve been going over the old receipts the PO provided me. By looking at this parts list can anyone tell me if these where major repair items or something different?

The bike is an 03 and had 26,365 miles at the time of this service bill.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Steve, looks like your bike has suffered from a "wet clutch syndrome" as the first 9 (or 12) rows of the bill consist of parts related to a clutch repair. They have also changed the clutch slave cylinder which could have been the cause of the problem. If not, it was wise to change it anyway since the cost of that is marginal.

The rest of the parts list look like normal stuff that need to be changed at the major service.

PS. Since you are new to LT's I want to add that this type of clutch job is not rare among these bikes and you don't need to feel being misled. Sometimes the clutch slave cylinder breaks and this causes the clutch (or actually brake) fluid to contaminate the clutch plates.
Drilling a weep hole into the slave cylinder housing will help to prevent this from happening - or at least you will get an early warning about a probelm. And changing the slave cylinder is much easier than changing the clutch.
Do a search with "weep hole" and you'll learn a lot more...

Regards

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kind of assumed that to be the case, thanks for verifying it for me. What got me looking thru the old receipts was a problem I’ve been having with the clutch. The first few time I rode the bike the clutch worked great, but the last few times I’ve been needing to pump the clutch lever a couple times before being able to shift it from neutral into first.

Once in first gear, there seems to be no problem when up or down shifting. That service bill was dated 2 and half years ago but the bike only has seen 1k miles since the work was done. Guess I’m going to have to learn how to bleed the system sometime soon. I did check the level and it is full.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Steve, the LT, I can't speak for other models, doesn't shift well sitting still. I'm on my second LT and both had to be double, sometimes triple clutched to snick into 1st gear with cold tranny fluid. It's not quite so bad once the fluid is warm. If you're slowing for a red light and don't stop in 1st gear, you'll have to ease out the clutch lever, then pull it back in to get it to shift. This would apply for each gear, i.e. if you come to a stop in 3rd gear, you'll have to release/squeeze the lever to get to 2nd and again to get to 1st. She's a finicky beast, and has some quirks, but I haven't found anything I like better.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Steve,

I have the same "quirk" with my 05, after it is parked.

I just push the shifter down and slowly left the clutch lever out, drops right into first every time. :)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
At this point I think it would be a great idea to flush the fluid in the clutch system. Not very difficult.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
You definately need to look at your clutch master fluid level..

Change the fluid and then keep an eye on the level...

If your slave has started to leak, This is where the clutch failure comes from.

Ok, It's not the only thing that will kill the clutch.. I guess there's at least two other seals that if they fail they can contaminate the clutch disk as well..

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts