BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get the Sena SMH10R and looking for a charging option while riding. The manual says that you can use any micro USB cable into the main unit. I was looking at the accessories and found a cigarette charger, but the note on the page has me questioning the power required for charging. The note reads "Caution: 12V OUTPUT DO NOT apply this charger to the USB devices other than Sena products."

Can anyone confirm the charging output required? Is it 12V or 5V?
Also, is there a powerlet option?

·
Premium Member
5,257 Posts
I am looking to get the Sena SMH10R and looking for a charging option while riding. The manual says that you can use any micro USB cable into the main unit. I was looking at the accessories and found a cigarette charger, but the note on the page has me questioning the power required for charging. The note reads "Caution: 12V OUTPUT DO NOT apply this charger to the USB devices other than Sena products."

Can anyone confirm the charging output required? Is it 12V or 5V?
Also, is there a powerlet option?
It's the standard USB 5v. You should be able to use any standard 12v USB charger that you can buy and use an adapter to plug into your accessory port.

·
Premium Member
5,257 Posts
So just to clarify... Sena's website is incorrect. The cigarette charger that they sell as an accessory is not 12V output, but is it a 5V output. This seems like a major mistake on Sena's part.
Perhaps not. Perhaps you can charge the unit with either 12v or 5v! My SMH10 had always been charged with 5v.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's odd that there are no specs on the Sena manual about input power or the battery or anything. To use a certified USB logo, the voltage must be 5V only. I have contacted Sena about this but no reply. If anyone has this cable, can you please confirm the output voltage? I am going to make my own powerlet cable to avoid adapters, but must know what the output voltage should be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i registered on this forum just to contribute to this thread.

i can guarantee you that the cigarette-lighter charger that came with my SMH-10 puts out 12V at the USB end. definitely. i feel this is negligence on the part of Sena -- they cut a major corner where they shouldn't have. my wall charger is printed "Output: 5V", so i assume that one's okay.

i'm happy to report that the 12V charger didn't fry my phone when i used it after first getting the radio -- it just didn't charge at all.

paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts