BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 years and two LT's I have decided to look for another ride. Just need a change and not quite sure what that will be. I have removed all the key LT add-on accessories. I will be listing them in the classified section over the next few days. So if you are looking for a few choice items (everything from Ohlin's to Iridium sparkplugs and a lot in between check out the classified section.

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

·
Registered
783 Posts
I understand the desire to try a new ride. Changing bikes is much easier than changing wives, or husbands. Good luck finding something you like.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Good luck finding a ride that fits you better. Was there anything in particular that you found lacking in the LT or is just time for a change?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems my tenure with any m/c I have owned has been two to three years. Just ready for a change. Leaning toward 2008 Goldwing with all the bells and whistles except airbag. Never owned one and life is too short not to try it out. During the last two cross countries they seemed to outnumber everyone else on the road for long distance rides. Drove one recently and was really impressed with the amount of power and torque it delivered. If it is not to my liking I can wait to see what BMW is replacing the LT with. Change is a good thing

Perry

oknplm

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
oknplm said:
Leaning toward 2008 Goldwing with all the bells and whistles except airbag. Never owned one and life is too short not to try it out. During the last two cross countries they seemed to outnumber everyone else on the road for long distance rides.
Whatever you want is what you need - where you see Goldwings I feel depends upon the type of road you like to ride. I rarely see wings where my wife and I ride. A thousand miles in a weekend on back-road twisties are not unusual for us.

We really rarely see wings.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure where you ride but I have put 30 thousand on this LT in a little over two years. And about the same on the prior LT I had about the same amount of time. I have seen Goldwings at the top of the Rockies, the middle of nowhere desert roads of the southwest and really rural areas USA.

Two points

* It's not the motorcycle that get you there. It is the rider willing, able and has the time to do so. How you ride, whatever you ride, is only determined by your experience level and personal abilities.

* Plus you are probably more likely to see a Honda dealer in small town or backwater USA then a BMW shop if the situation demands it.

Both of my LT's were great running, fun to ride machines. But if you don't take the time to look around and see what else is out there you may just wake up some day and find out it is too late to do so.

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
hallzee said:
Whatever you want is what you need - where you see Goldwings I feel depends upon the type of road you like to ride. I rarely see wings where my wife and I ride. A thousand miles in a weekend on back-road twisties are not unusual for us.

We really rarely see wings.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I wouldnt call a gl1800 a sell out bike, but I do run across my share of wingers. I have noticed a considerable amount of insecurity among thier ownership in that I usually tell them what a nice bike I think their gl1800/1500 is and in return Im often told how much better thier bike is than the LT. Sometime I think wingers are worse than the HD crowd as far as intolerance for other brands.

Enjoy, its a great bike, but at this point just not my style. I wish I could find the video of the guy on his yellow wing floggin it through the dragon, that would inspire you

Tom

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Well, I know Perry and I can tell you the Goldwing is RIGHT up his alley!! ;) :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Steve_R said:
Well, I know Perry and I can tell you the Goldwing is RIGHT up his alley!! ;) :D
so you're saying he's old. . .

:histerica

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I assume this must be a little rib sticking from you Steve. Just remember as you take your shots, I was present on the first group ride you were on not so long ago. At least I came back to look for you!

Steve_R said:

·
Registered
809 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First I could give a rats a$% what others think about the brand I pick. The very thing you accuse other brand owners of is mirrored within your own commentary about wingers and HD crowd. You sound just like the rest of the herd that follows the brand doctrine. I guess being intolerant is not isolated to any one brand. Hope you get help for your own insecurities and you maintain that all important biking style you mentioned.

Perry Ridgway

ahpd1992 said:
I wouldnt call a gl1800 a sell out bike, but I do run across my share of wingers. I have noticed a considerable amount of insecurity among thier ownership in that I usually tell them what a nice bike I think their gl1800/1500 is and in return Im often told how much better thier bike is than the LT. Sometime I think wingers are worse than the HD crowd as far as intolerance for other brands.

Enjoy, its a great bike, but at this point just not my style. I wish I could find the video of the guy on his yellow wing floggin it through the dragon, that would inspire you

Tom

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I have a handful of friends that are Wing Riders. What an awesome bike. What color are you after?

·
Registered
219 Posts
oknplm said:
First I could give a rats a$% what others think about the brand I pick. The very thing you accuse other brand owners of is mirrored within your own commentary about wingers and HD crowd. You sound just like the rest of the herd that follows the brand doctrine. I guess being intolerant is not isolated to any one brand. Hope you get help for your own insecurities and you maintain that all important biking style you mentioned.

Perry Ridgway
Calm down dude! Im losing my tolerance and getting insecure. Im going to another post, b4 u beat me up you gl1800 guys are hooligans :histerica

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't get it with HD's. I saw the electra glide it was selling for almost 30k. I was shocked. And it uses 1950s technology. Amazing branding here. I question tho will younger people start riding HD or pick the cheaper, better Japanese and german bikes. Maybe HD will be like GM one day..

·
Registered
713 Posts
Caveno said:
I don't get it with HD's. I saw the electra glide it was selling for almost 30k. I was shocked. And it uses 1950s technology. Amazing branding here. I question tho will younger people start riding HD or pick the cheaper, better Japanese and german bikes. Maybe HD will be like GM one day..

?? No Electra Glide sells for anything close to 30K without a lot of addons and motor work.. The Ultra is even on price with a new LT..... Now please name just one little part on the HD that is still 50's technology,,,, Just one part.........Pete

·
Registered
550 Posts
petepeterson said:
?? No Electra Glide sells for anything close to 30K without a lot of addons and motor work.. The Ultra is even on price with a new LT..... Now please name just one little part on the HD that is still 50's technology,,,, Just one part.........Pete
Actually...the ElectraGlide Ultra Sreamin' Eagle goes for around $35,000.00
That will make your shorts pucker! :histerica

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thank you golfguy,,, you made my point perfectly!!!

The HD had to have the performance upgrade to get the price up... A fully loaded Ultra on the showroom floor is no more than an LT.... Leave the extra BS off just the Ultra............Pete

2008 FLHTCU MSRP $ 20,695.00 :D

·
Registered
475 Posts
You're right, the seat is a lot more modern. The horn is not visible. And the 2008 also has a back seat and a luggage rack. :dance:

1956 Harley

2008 Harley

:bmw: :bmw: :bmw:

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Just a little Perry. I do appreciate you coming back to look for me. Do realize that was over 4 years ago?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts