BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sena SMH10 or Scala G4?

Hello RTers,

I need to know if either of you have experienced any of this 2 head sets for rider/passenger set up.

Sena smt 10
Scala G4.

I just want something simple and effective.
I will appreciate review and recommendations.

Thank you

Marcelo

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
7seas10 said:
Hello RTers,

I need to know if either of you have experienced any of this 2 head sets for rider/passenger set up.

Sega smt 10
Scala G4.

I just want something simple and effective.
I will appreciate review and recommendations.

Thank you

Marcelo
Peruse the different forums, like the BMW MOA and the BMW Sport Touring forum as well as this one and you'll find that people prefer the Sena.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went with the Sena and have been very happy. I just recently bought a pair of Westone earbuds and have ordered the Sena earbud mount so I can move away from using the speakers and earplugs.

Something that may matter to you is that the Sena models can not share an audio source as they are bluetooth only (the bluetooth specification doesn't support this) unlike the G4 that can do this using built in FM radios. For the wife and I this isn't an issue and I've really enjoyed the Senas.

I am using a Garmin 665 paired to the Sena and my iPhone 4 is paired to the Garmin. I can listen to MP3s or XM radio from the 665 (and of course directions) and can use the phone for calls. With this setup I can't listen to music from the iPhone.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've had my Scala G4 for almost a year. I really like mine.

Solid piece of technology- once you figure out how to get it to work.

The major flaw with both systems is that you can only sync with one audio source. I like to use my cell phone to stream Pandora or Sirius. I can choose to listen to either the music or the directions from the Zumo. You can't do both via bluetooth. You can sync to other riders and listen to music/GPS. The programming patch has been promised for several months from Cardio. Still waiting.

I don't know the status of the patch from Sena.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
RVB1019 said:
I've had my Scala G4 for almost a year. I really like mine.

Solid piece of technology- once you figure out how to get it to work.

The major flaw with both systems is that you can only sync with one audio source. I like to use my cell phone to stream Pandora or Sirius. I can choose to listen to either the music or the directions from the Zumo. You can't do both via bluetooth. You can sync to other riders and listen to music/GPS. The programming patch has been promised for several months from Cardio. Still waiting.

I don't know the status of the patch from Sena.
I know the Cardo has a 3.5mm jack for an ipod, so you could connect it that way. Nothing is perfect. I thought the cardo g4 would be good, but I've read a few bad experiences versus none for the Sena. I'd have to line up the features and do a ben franklin to see how they compare. I like the controls on the Sena though. Very Apple like.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Sena is about $150 cheaper for the set, you get multiple hook up options, the volume options are MUCH better (when other systems top out in volume, the Sena is only halfway there in its range), you get better cable options with the set (including cables with the system that allow you to plug an ipod or other audio source into the system directly and listen to it, and for those of us who like to ride more than 7 hours once in a while you can plug the power cord into the device WHILE it's being used and continue on (which you can't do with other systems)--and it comes with two cigarette charger cords for that purpose, so you can ride and charge at the same time--not something other systems offer. Also has large function buttons and dials, not the tiny ones that aren't glove-friendly like others.

Bluetooth-based systems aren't perfect, but I've tried close to a dozen of them, and the Sena system is the best I've used so fat. (when I've made phone calls on it people on the receiving end, even though I was riding 70mph in the wind at the time, thought I had already arrived at my hotel destination--similar results on bike-to-bike)

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts