BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am going on a trip that will require a 2-hour ferryboat ride. I went to the darkside/"dealer" to get information on how to strap down the LT for the trip. I talked to three people at the dealership and got three different answers. I am wondering if anyone has dealt with a situation similar to this and if they could offer me any advice. I am thinking of putting the bike on the center stand (non-motorized) and running a strap from the handle that I use to lift the bike to put on the center stand and one from the frame under the right side saddle bag.

I have owned this bike for two years and purchased it from someone on this forum and would like to thank them because the bike has worked perfectly and it has been everything they said it would be and more. I have enjoyed reading this forum and hope that you can use your expertise to help me to determine how I can safely take my bike on this trip.

Thanks,
Rob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
Rob,

Do NOT use the handel bars for tie downs, unless you want to replace the bars. :(

Go to the top of the page and you will see a files drop down, select the technical files and look for a file called K1200Lt tie down. ( print it )That is how BMW wants you to use tie downs. Basically you tie the front forks and then the bars under the panniers.
Since you might be using the center stand I would tie the stand to the front wheel to prevent the bike from coming off the stand, if it moves it will just slide a little. HTH :wave
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,549 Posts
Geez.
Had your LT for two years and haven't dropped in before to say Hi?
Glad to see you dropped by Rob.

When I shipped my bike to Maine the moving company, who ships a lot of bikes, did not use the center stand.

Best from tucson
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bob for the welcome. I have not posted before because I have been able to find all my answers to my questions on this forum and have had very little trouble with my LT. I do love the forum and am amazed by the knowledge and generosity of its members, as well as their willingness to help. When I was at the dealer yesterday they did advise me to use the handlebars to tie down the bike. I have looked at the methods on this forum and am still somewhat confused as to whether or not I should use the centerstand or sidestand. Also I am thinking about going to the CCR rally to meet all of you guys as it is in my neighborhood as I am in southern Wisconsin.

Thanks,
Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
bucky said:
When I was at the dealer yesterday they did advise me to use the handlebars to tie down the bike. I have looked at the methods on this forum and am still somewhat confused as to whether or not I should use the centerstand or sidestand.Rob
Rob-

Being somewhat new to the LT myself, I have not yet hauled one. But I have hauled plenty of other bikes in a pickup, and I would think the tie-down methods would be the same. We always hooked around the bars or triple tree (maybe the guide on here will show you where) and crank down until the forks compress about half way. You don't want to compress all the way, as I hear there is a possibility of blowing out a fork seal. If the front wheel is against something solid (a truck bed, in my example), and you crank down on the forks, you won't need a kickstand or anything else to keep it still and stable.

While the LT is not your "typical" bike, I believe this should work exactly the same. If it were mine, that's what I would try. Good luck!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,800 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
Rob,

Do NOT use the handel bars for tie downs, unless you want to replace the bars. :(

Go to the top of the page and you will see a files drop down, select the technical files and look for a file called K1200Lt tie down. ( print it )That is how BMW wants you to use tie downs. Basically you tie the front forks and then the bars under the panniers.
Since you might be using the center stand I would tie the stand to the front wheel to prevent the bike from coming off the stand, if it moves it will just slide a little. HTH :wave
+1 - Do not use the handlebars. There are some sad tales on this site of those who did. It's too easy to damage them.

But, I understand you are referring to the lift handle - not the handlebar itself - yet... a dealer who would advise you to tie down the LT using the handlebars doesn't know this bike as well as he should.

I'd also use the sidestand, not the center stand. Much more stable IMO. Both tires are fully on the ground and you have some weight leaning on the side stand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
I grew up in the Puget Sound area of Seattle and have ridden lots of ferries with my bike. If you are in an inland waterway, (like Puget Sound) all you do is get off the bike, park it on its sidestand, leave it in gear and go up and get something to eat.

If you are on rough water it's a bit different. Three years ago I rode the 20 hour ferry ride from Port Hardy, B.C. to Bella Coola. There was about 4 hours or so of open water. The ferry guys had us leave our bikes on the side stand, in gear and prop a wooden block on the high side under the engine and then tie it down. When you think about it, leaving it on the sidestand creates a tripod and is more stable than on the center stand. And we hit some rough water. No problems at all.

Where are you going?

Bob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
I had a question regarding tying down the LT so I could haul it in a trailer. I've hauled it many times following Elheffe's instructions in the thread below. I always use the soft ties and have never had any trouble.

You will find more expertise on this website than any dealership, these guys know what they are talking about.

Save yourself some trouble and heed their advice!!

Are you heading across Lake MI? If so what ferry are you taking?

My wife and I are going to attend our first CCR, hope to see ya there. :wave



http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56745&highlight=tieing
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
dthogey said:
I had a question regarding tying down the LT so I could haul it in a trailer. I've hauled it many times following Elheffe's instructions in the thread below. I always use the soft ties and have never had any trouble.

You will find more expertise on this website than any dealership, these guys know what they are talking about.

Save yourself some trouble and heed their advice!!

Are you heading across Lake MI? If so what ferry are you taking?

My wife and I are going to attend our first CCR, hope to see ya there. :wave



http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56745&highlight=tieing





I am assuming that someone on the ferry would be able to assist you in tying down the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
dthogey said:
I am assuming that someone on the ferry would be able to assist you in tying down the bike.
ERROR! Do not assume anything! They really do not a) know b) care. Here in Finland typically we need ferry to leave the country pretty much where ever you want to go.

a) put 1st gear on (pull bike forwards so that the gear on stops the bike)
b) keep the bike on the side stand
b) strap it down from the rear frame tubes (behind side panniers) and fork bridge

Seppo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
We crossed to Newfoundland this year and here is a photo of the bike tied down.



You want to avoid having the straps contact any painted surface as it won't take much to leave a mark. The tie downs on the deck will dictate the direction of the straps so use that to choose your tie down points. I agree use the side stand as the bike will be much more stable even before you tie down.

Gerhard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone for their help. We are taking the Chi Cheemaun ferry out of Ontario from South Baymouth to Tobermory, about a 2 hour trip. As to the dealer advice lets just say that in my short time owning a BMW the dealer has been pretty much exclusively a bad experience. This is a problem because I am going to need my 48,000 mile service soon and I don't have much faith in them based on what I have seen thus far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
As far as the service goes...

Buy some beer....

Throw a service party.....

Guys will come from 500 miles for free beer and wrenching...


Good Luck

John
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top