BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read posts about securing the LT to the Harbor Freight lift, with respect to the center stand folding up and reaking havoc. Since I'm in for a major tear down, I came up with this. You can see in the photos that I put down two pieces of flatstock, one under each foot of the center stand. Then I put a ratcheting tie-down strap to each leg of the stand, and to the front of the lift. I ratcheted the whole bike forward until it came up against the wheel chock, then clamped the front wheel in place there.
It worked well enough that I was able to slide the whole lift, bike and all, around the shop until it was sitting where I can work on it easier: close to the bench and parts washer. Even left enough room for the other bikes.

Just throwing this out there if it helps someone else.

Oh, how, you might ask, will I get it off? Not a frickin' clue!!! I'll let you know in a couple'a weeks :rolleyes:
I'm thinking I might take the chock off, high speed burnout, and launch it off the front?

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,926 Posts
If you added the HF wheel chock to the lift you would not need the centerstand. I usually use a couple of helpers to lift the rear of the bike while some one pulls the center stand back with a strap. It doesn't take much to do that.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have the same lift but with a different tire clamp. Mine is the one that is shaped to hold on the bottom and the front sides of the tire. I removed the tire stop and open the clamp all the way. Then I push the bike all the way forward until the forks contact the upright part of the clamp. Then I just put the bike up on the centerstand and the clamp is in the right position to clamp the tire. This works great if I am changing the rear tire or want to have it in the air for a valve check. Otherwise I just roll it into the clamp, tighten it down and, put a couple of soft ties around the forks and use pull straps to hold it steady.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I use a chock on my HF lift as well..

Just drive in... And get off the bike.

I do still strap the front end down just in case.

IT's good for everything except when you need to use the back wheel to turn the engine.

I just did all the service on the RT. Pulled it off the lift for the valve check.

Took it for a little naked ride then changed the oil.

I think somebody makes a jack that will pick up the rear wheel...

One of those would make it easy to get on and off the center stand...

John

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I love it..... Check out the reflection of coffe cup in the aux light (under tip-over bar). Me thinks it's an eyeball

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
cwo said:
I love it..... Check out the reflection of coffe cup in the aux light (under tip-over bar). Me thinks it's an eyeball
I took a look, and I don't think its an eyeball. I can however see how one might think it is an eyeball. :bmw:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts