BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was never a problem when I ride one-up, but with my wife riding more the space in the trunk is gone.

Does anyone have a good way of securing/protecting two helmets (Nolan n100e+x1002 in this case)?

I didn't see any threads on this subject, so I opened this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
I have used a cable through the face shield and the under seat lock point. But when in little towns in the country I usually ask a shopkeeper to hold my helmets and riding jackets. I have never been turned down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BLBantz said:
I have used a cable through the face shield and the under seat lock point.
I didn't think anyone really used the "under seat" locking point. It doesn't seem that secure...But maybe I'll give it a try. You just dangle the helmets on each side?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Yep. The helmets dangle. Not the best, but it works in a pinch. I don't use the cable included with the bike, but a bicycle locking cable covered in plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
Helmet Cable

I use the cable too, under the seat. I've been able to sit the helmets on the seats instead of letting them dangle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll give that a try this weekend to see how it works.

But I want to look for long term solution to protect my helmets/headsets.

On my Concours my other helmets are secured to License plate holder, but seem to clunk against the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
I have also put the helmets on the seat and then put on my half cover which hides everything and is rainproof. For short stops I just let them dangle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
When I was a Harley dude, I used to flip my 1/2 helmet upside down and use it to keep the sidestand from sinking into the ground, then I'd shove my "ol lady's" lid under the frame, lol. :D
Now that I'm mild mannered BMW rider, I keep a cable lock in the bag and lock them to the seats if there's no room in the rear trunk. (HD dude part is just a joke)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
I use a longer and thicker cable that I purchased at BMW of Fresno. It's long enough to pass through 2 helmets or 1 helmet and a jacket. Then I set the helmets on the seats. When I get a trailer, life will be easier.
 

·
Miles of Smiles
Joined
·
1,054 Posts
Wire mesh sack

Planning on using a nylon stuff sack which holds Jacket/ Pants/ Helmet, then securing in a pacsafe Explorer ( medium ) cable to under seat. Holds all the gear well and keeps curious eyes off too. www.pac-safe.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hilton said:
Planning on using a nylon stuff sack which holds Jacket/ Pants/ Helmet, then securing in a pacsafe Explorer ( medium ) cable to under seat. Holds all the gear well and keeps curious eyes off too. www.pac-safe.com
The lidsafe has a VERY NICE design and very functional too. The other "pacsafe" products also seem well made.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
EdBruce said:
Justin...

I have this installed on my bike. Works great and have never had a problem.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=GUARDIAN

Cheers
The Helmet Guardian is a good solid product and one came installed on the LT I bought this summer. However, I also have Nolan helmets and since they are a flip front, they do not have D rings that will lock to the Helmet Guardian. Any other ideas how I can connect the two?

Dave Broughton
Calgary, Alberta
2002 LTC and matching Unigo
1993 K75RT (for sale)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
I can recommend the Helmet Guardian as well. I've had one on all my LTs and it's a great product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I have never locked my helmet. Just put it up on the seat. Have never had one stolen. I go to several NASCAR races each year and have left my helmet sitting on the seat. Have gone to honky tonks and left the helmet on the bike. Guess I will get bitten one day, but just don't worry about it. My theory is that if they want it, they will get it whether locked or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
k5lo said:
I have never locked my helmet. Just put it up on the seat. Have never had one stolen. I go to several NASCAR races each year and have left my helmet sitting on the seat. Have gone to honky tonks and left the helmet on the bike. Guess I will get bitten one day, but just don't worry about it. My theory is that if they want it, they will get it whether locked or not.
I believe 99% of the folks are honest. But at $600+ a helmet I don't want to findout I'm wrong. Also the wind could blow it off, rain could soak it, etc... and damage it. A small investment to protect it (and make me "feel" better) is worth it to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
djbroughton said:
The Helmet Guardian is a good solid product and one came installed on the LT I bought this summer. However, I also have Nolan helmets and since they are a flip front, they do not have D rings that will lock to the Helmet Guardian. Any other ideas how I can connect the two?



How about a laminated 10+ inch cable with crimped loops on each end. Then you can run it around the jaw protector & secure it to the lock. I think your friendly tackle shop can rig you a couple.

JMTCW

Ramon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
How about a laminated 10+ inch cable with crimped loops on each end. Then you can run it around the jaw protector & secure it to the lock. I think your friendly tackle shop can rig you a couple.

JMTCW

Ramon
Some bicycle shops carry these too.

regards
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top