BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day fellow bikers
I hope you spent some good quality days.

Soon I am going to ship my LT from Switzerland (via England or Holland) to Australia. This will be done with our household goods in a large container,on a containership.

My question is about securing the bike, so it does stay upright and safe.
Has anyone got some experience or input you are willing to share with me?

I much appreciate your info.
So long
Pat

·
Registered
454 Posts
Shipping Box

One idea - that will require some disassembly - get a crate from the dealer where you bought the bike, and have them recrate it. Maybe not the most convenient, but certainly the safest.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi Pat

A friend of mine shipped his LT to Brazil. He went back home after living in the US for 11 years. She also shipped his LT in a large Container with other household items, it was one of those containers that is basically a Semi Truck back end. He used a large platform, built accordingly for a motorcycle, with places for the tires and heavy duty tie downs (6 of them) 2 in front, 2 in the rear and two in the center, when the LT was loaded he placed it in the rear of the container (last thing loaded) and also attached the front and rear tie downs to the container itself.

Long story short it arrived there unharmed, some of the other items in the container shifted but the lt and the platform is was on was in the same place.

I am going to ping him today I still keep in touch with him and ask him where he came upon that platform.

I will let you know

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Darcy and Pat

I am also interested in your information. I'll probably be shipping early this year to Sydney from Philadelphia. It'll be one of two approaches....
1. Give it to someone, insure the heck out of it, leave up to them.
2. Take a lot more interest, but wear some of the consequences if things turn to custard.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
One little trick I do when I take my LT on a ferry - always use the side stand (2 bits of rubber - full weight, plus the side stand is better than the centre stand), then put a strap between the side stand and the back of the front wheel - if the bike moves forwards, the sidestand will not fold up. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Side stands

I think the side stands I made for my lt would work grate for shipping and LT, I made the stands so that the bike sits as if it was on the center stand but with wider stance .If you use the center stand for shipping you have to make sure the stand is locked down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
lash it well

There are lashing points in the can. I would put it on the side stand and put a lashing strap on the front left, not to tight then lash the front right tight enough to bring the bike back level. Then lash the rear Look for the lashing points in the can before you decide where to put the bike. I have been a longshoreman for 26 years, and can tell you that a can being loaded below deck has the most potential for damage when entering the cell on the ship. If the crane driver is not careful. The can may rock back and forth as it starts into the cell. maybe as much as 45 degrees if the driver really misses the cell. So after you have it all lashed down double up the lashings. And ask for on deck stowage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts