BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm reintroducing myself since I've been off the forum for several years. I was one of the early members, joining in 2000 when I purchased my first K1200LTC. I was a regular poster for quite a while.

The LT was a wonderful bike and it served me well for over 12 years and 160K+ miles. I rode it on many IBA certification rides, dozens of endurance rallies, and 2 Iron Butt Rallies.

I farkled the crap out of this bike. It had custom mirrors, HID aux lights, custom fitted aux tank, and the list goes on and on.

When the clutch failed the second time I decided it was too ratted up to sell and I didn't want to repair the clutch again. I decided to part it out.

I liked the bike well enough that I bought another one. It was a couple of years newer and had a good clutch. I upgraded the shocks to Ohlins (very expensive) and started moving my farkles. I planned on riding it for many more years.

I was getting it ready for a rally and my 14 YO grandson was helping me out. He replenished the oil and I cautioned him about over servicing it. I took off for the rally and when I got home the clutch was slipping. My bad that I didn't double check his work. That extra quart or so of oil leaked out and cost me the clutch repair I didn't want in the first place.

Later on I had a flat tire and couldn't get it up on the center stand for repair. After standing on the side of US395 for about an hour somebody finally stopped to help.

I decided I was getting old enough I needed a bike I could get on the center stand by myself. So after more than a decade the LT's were retired and I moved to a Triumph Trophy SE. The LT was fun but the Trophy is exciting. I have no regrets.

So why am I back?

The project of parting out the 2000 LT has languished and I still have some parts that may be of value.

With the forum's permission I was wondering if I could post a list. I'm not in love with this stuff, I just want to clean up the garage.

Thanks for the bandwidth,

--
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete]
Chula Vista, CA
IBA#341
http://ibpete.com/
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Hi,

I'm reintroducing myself since I've been off the forum for several years. I was one of the early members, joining in 2000 when I purchased my first K1200LTC. I was a regular poster for quite a while.

The LT was a wonderful bike and it served me well for over 12 years and 160K+ miles. I rode it on many IBA certification rides, dozens of endurance rallies, and 2 Iron Butt Rallies.

I farkled the crap out of this bike. It had custom mirrors, HID aux lights, custom fitted aux tank, and the list goes on and on.

When the clutch failed the second time I decided it was too ratted up to sell and I didn't want to repair the clutch again. I decided to part it out.

I liked the bike well enough that I bought another one. It was a couple of years newer and had a good clutch. I upgraded the shocks to Ohlins (very expensive) and started moving my farkles. I planned on riding it for many more years.

I was getting it ready for a rally and my 14 YO grandson was helping me out. He replenished the oil and I cautioned him about over servicing it. I took off for the rally and when I got home the clutch was slipping. My bad that I didn't double check his work. That extra quart or so of oil leaked out and cost me the clutch repair I didn't want in the first place.

Later on I had a flat tire and couldn't get it up on the center stand for repair. After standing on the side of US395 for about an hour somebody finally stopped to help.

I decided I was getting old enough I needed a bike I could get on the center stand by myself. So after more than a decade the LT's were retired and I moved to a Triumph Trophy SE. The LT was fun but the Trophy is exciting. I have no regrets.

So why am I back?

The project of parting out the 2000 LT has languished and I still have some parts that may be of value.

With the forum's permission I was wondering if I could post a list. I'm not in love with this stuff, I just want to clean up the garage.

Thanks for the bandwidth,

--
Mike Langford [aka IB Pete]
Chula Vista, CA
IBA#341
http://ibpete.com/
I really hate it when I commit to running a yellow light and the guy in front of me chickens out.
Not sure the right venue, but I would like to hear your comparison of the Trophy and the LT. I considered trading to a Trophy SE, but was dissuaded by a few things. First, the nearest triumph dealer is not much closer than the nearest BMW dealer and would not allow a test ride! Second, was that as I researched the SE, it appeared to be as trouble prone as the LT with weather protection no better than an RT.

So I decided to bite the bullet and repair my LT's clutch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In a nutshell the Trophy is about 150lbs lighter than the LT and 135HP vs 100HP.
Even though it's almost as heavy it feels like 1/2 the bike. I don't recall specs but I suspect it's a much shorter wheelbase. I know it has a LOT less cockpit area.

I had pretty severe first year model blues, many recalls. The dealer is close to me but they are a powersports place and since they handle about 10 marques with as many different models they are not well versed in maintenance.

After we finally got all the bugs worked out I came to really like the bike.

I can't compare the weather protection to the RT but I can say it is much, much better than the LT. I can ride in heavy rain with my helmet visor raised up. I sure couldn't do that with the LT.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
In a nutshell the Trophy is about 150lbs lighter than the LT and 135HP vs 100HP.
Even though it's almost as heavy it feels like 1/2 the bike. I don't recall specs but I suspect it's a much shorter wheelbase. I know it has a LOT less cockpit area.

I had pretty severe first year model blues, many recalls. The dealer is close to me but they are a powersports place and since they handle about 10 marques with as many different models they are not well versed in maintenance.

I can't compare the weather protection to the RT but I can say it is much, much better than the LT. I can ride in heavy rain with my helmet visor raised up. I sure couldn't do that with the LT.
Do you ride with a passenger? If you do, how do the pillion accommodations compare? My biggest problem with the GTL is the poor pillion comfort compared to the LT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,546 Posts

I don't get that. I have a Cee Bailey shield. I raise it all the way up,It is awesome.I've been in good steady rains and I wear a half helmet. I never had a problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts