BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my final drive fail last August, at 58000 miles +/-, in my 2001 BMW K1200LT. First failure as far as I know (bought the bike with 42K on it so dont know really if it was rebuilt before then). Had it rebuilt by a local BMW dealer/mechanic - new final bearing and seal. I contacted BMW North America who would not cover the cost of the repair (I was not original owner, high mileage on the bike, etc).

Well it turns out that the final drive failed AGAIN last week, at 65000 miles +/-. Took it back to the same BMW dealer/mechanic, who I talked to today. He verified that THE REPLACED FINAL BEARING FAILED. He said they just sometimes do! He did re shim the installation when he did the rebuild 8 months ago, so I believe the preload was appropriate (as so critical noted by experts on this website).

This time, BMW will cover the repair, parts and labor.

I am a "normal" rider, maybe a little high in annual mileage (about 20K per year) but not a speedster or hard driver. Any thoughts on why the final bearing would have failed within 7000 miles of a rebuild?

·
Registered
714 Posts
It most likely wasn't rebuilt correctly. Many dealers are not set up to properly adjust the preload on the bearings.

Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
511 Posts
The fact they are willing to repair their mistake from a job done shuch a short time ago indicates where the fault lies. What is puzzling is that the dealerships cannot even get it right. The good news is that, should it repeat and fail again soon, you will always have a new FD.

Good luck with this one.

Mugz

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
kevincook said:
It most likely wasn't rebuilt correctly. Many dealers are not set up to properly adjust the preload on the bearings.

Good Luck,
Kevin
+1 on that. Don't be surprised if it fails again with another rebuild. You should press them for a replacement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Most dealers are sadly un-able to do this repair correctly. Slapping in a new bearing is NOT correct. You could send it to Tom Cutter at rubberchickenracinggarage.com Then you will know it was done right. Usual disclaimers, etc.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
My guess is that there are probably not more than a half dozen, if that many BMW dealer shops that can actually do it correctly. Then, how do you find one of those? If you do, is their ONE mechanic that could be trusted to do it working that day? Having a dealer rebuild a final drive is a crap shoot, far worse odds of success than buying a new one, which due to BMW's record is still somewhat of a chance.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I would be surprised if most dealers could properly clean it for assembly let alone rebuild it to factory specification. I don't want to take anything away from good mechanics.

To rebuild something like a final drive, transmission or engine takes training that most mechanics do not have. There is a difference between repair & rebuild. For the most part mechanics repair the bike. There are mechanics that can do both but it is rare.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yours went further than mine did. First rebuild at 143000, second rebuild at 145900.
Defective bearing was the stated cause of second failure. Dealer paid in full second time. Just a pain having the bike down twice in two months. Hopefully this year will be better than last.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts