BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had my LT for 3 weeks now, I've discovered the seat sucks on rides over 2 hours. I primarily bought the bike for long distance, Iron Butt type rides, and I now know this seat won't make the distance with me on it. Does anyone have any thoughts on after market seats such as Bill Mayer or Corbin? My last scooter was an Ultra Classic with a much more comfortable ass rest. Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That sucks

For the money these babies cost they should have a good butt rest. If you like the way the seat looks you could have a gel pad put in for a ver reasonable price
larry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not Gonna Work

The Gel Pad is an option, but I also don't like the vinyl covering. You can't slide or move your ass without lifting yourself up. I'm a sensative guy, I like leather close to my bottom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Russel Seats

I agree with you. I can't figure out why, if the M/C manufacturers insist on building a lousy seat they put electric heating in it. I would try Russel to see if they have a seat for you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Here are a few tips:

1. Never ride with your wallet in your back pocket.
2. Get one of the beaded seat covers from Walmart and modify it to fit your seat. This allows airflow between the seat and your butt and will keep you a lot more comfortable. Should cost about $8.00.
3. Get a gel or air pad as well and alternate between the beads, the bare seat and the pad on trips.
4. Get some of the bike riding underwear or some others without seams on the back to eliminate hot spots. Walmart sells a good pair.

Hopefully these tips will help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think the seat is great. We've done whole days touring with only minor discomfort. Not quite as good as the car seat but not bad for a bike. Maybe you just need to get some time in the saddle!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have just completed a border to border (1651 miles in less than 24 hours) on my stock seat. Everyone is built different. Stopping for fuel evey 2 to 3 hours was enough for me. I wore the under armor and put my wallet somewhere else. I wore a BMW savanna II suit. All of this made the differnce. Jeans are bad for me on a long trip because of the seam. I am not sure how the search will work in the new forum format. Wait a little and maybe someone can point you in the right direction for a search. This is a wealth of information on seats and preferences in this forum, somewhere.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Custom seat is the way to go. Several options out there including one of our very own on this forum. I have a Rick Mayer and it's made all the difference in the world to me...all day comfort.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Corbins have always been too hard for me. I wish Sargent made a seat for the LT...I loved their seat that I had on my K12RS. Currently have the plush seat from BMW and rather like it so far.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had my new LT for 8 weeks and the seat seems to be worse now than when it was new. Going around France next week and looked for an alternative. Tried the old sheepskin cover seems better but looks naff.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I hated the stock seat at first

My first long ride on my LT was pure misery. I raised the seat... that helped a lot. Someone in the forum suggested that I keep riding, that my feelings about the stock seat would change. Sure enough, now I love the stock seat. After I rode from Trinidad, CO to Shawnee OK with only two stops (and no pain), I realized that the seat couldn't be that bad. Now I ride for hours with no pain at all. I do think the addition of highway pegs also helps.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Ranger6 said:
Custom seat is the way to go. Several options out there including one of our very own on this forum. I have a Rick Mayer and it's made all the difference in the world to me...all day comfort.
Silly Ranger6, What would you know about comfort?? :p

·
Registered
161 Posts
Over on another board for all types of bikes there was a thread awhile back about seats.. the general consenses on places to get seats were.

Bill Mayer saddles very good (but it is not quite as good since Bill Mayer Sr passed, his eldest son now runs the business)
Russell seats some of the best. (the Day-long design was created by Bill Mayer and the patent sold to Russell)
Rick Mayer Cycle excellent seats (Bill Mayer's younger son, small shop, Rick does all the work custom by hand, but can take a looooong time)
Corbin good (but much better if you go and have on made in person)

·
Registered
279 Posts
The original seat on my LT was a real pain in the a**. I had Russell build me a custom seat, and after a short break-in period, I can truly spend the whole 'daylong' in comfort while riding the highways. It wasn't cheap, but the best investment I ever made.

Ride Safe!

JetDoc

·
King of the Castle
184 Posts
Empty wallet leads to comfortable ride

I find that the seat is much more comfortable now that I have spent so much money on the bike and farkles and now the wallet is flat.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Beadrider

I hate the stock seat. LT Long distance tourer, not with that seat. Can't afford russell seat so went with beadrider and can ride several 13 hours days. It may be butt ugly but the beads work.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It ain't cheap, but I put a Bill Mayer saddle on my '02 LT after two years of pain and welts. It took almost 3,000 miles to break in, but I can now honestly say it was the best investment I've made to my LT. Doing 600-700 miles a day is no struggle in the rump department. The stock seat was killing me after 300 miles and I could still feel it the next morning. Now at the end of the day, once I depart the bike, it's like I've never been on the bike! The trick is have a firm seat and not a soft compressible one. Bill set mine up using the medium firm core as I wanted to do 500 mile days, day after day. Cost was about $800 with a matt leather on the passenger seat and backrest. I choked a little when I paid the bill, but I now have put about 15K on the seat and can't imagine riding any bike without such a seat. Stock seats are primarily designed for looks and style while custom seats are designed with your southern end in mind and for the specific style of riding you do. I looked at beads, gel and air filled and non of them can compare to a true custom seat. My advise is bite the bullet, go for a custom seat and enjoy the LT to it's maximum.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts